backwards wheels

j13smiley

if you read any of the wheel threads lately you'll know we've had some discussion about front vs rear wheels. we know they are specific... but they were backwards on my car when i bought it. they seem to fit with no problems. no one could really post why they were front/rear when they seem to fit... well today i was under my car and saw why. figured i'd post it since no one had given an answer yet....

the front sway bar endlinks. they are REALLY close to the wheel - so close that i can't even measure the clearance when one of my wheel weights is lined up next to it. i didn't see any other clearance problems with any other parts...

Fronts to rear---Rear to fronts

Well my car had the wheels mounted on the wrong axle when I bought it. They are still in the wrong position four months later. I have not looked at clearances but it sure looks right with the wider looking wheels on the rear of the car. I would like to know if this effects handling of the car?? I do know that the TTA handles way better than a Turbo Regal with the wheels reversed. Would it handle even better if the wheels were in the position they should be in??? Anyone?? :rolleyes:

Never tried it the reverse way. But TA's and GTA's have been that way for years. I *think* I heard it's due to rubbing and such.

But for whatever reason, that's the way they've been built for many years.

I agree though, that it LOOKS correct with the wider lipped 'fronts' on the rear.

My car is also backwards I guess, with the deep dished wheels in the back. They too were like that when I bought it. I have noticed rubbing when I turn the wheel all the way to the right or left, but seeing as how that's usually only when I'm parking it somewhere, I've never thought much of it.

Hey Guys,
I run 4 Front wheels on my car so I can actually rotate the tires. It makes it so that the front and rear wheels stick out about the same from the body too. I knew a buddy that had 3 rear wheels on his car and one front and he didn't have any rubbing. I didn't look at clearances though.
Later,
James

SuperTTA said:
Hey Guys,
I run 4 Front wheels on my car so I can actually rotate the tires. It makes it so that the front and rear wheels stick out about the same from the body too. I knew a buddy that had 3 rear wheels on his car and one front and he didn't have any rubbing. I didn't look at clearances though.
Later,
James

interesting.

i like hte look of the fronts on the rear... so maybe that's the way to go ;)

So yesterday I had some DR's put on at Discount Tire. I told the guy in the office that the DR's needed to be mounted on the rims currently on the front of the car, then installed on the back. And the rims and tires currently on the back moved to the front. He kinda looked at me like :confused: . I said it has to do with the offset, the deeper dished wheels are supposed to be on the front. He said: "Are you sure?" "That's the way Pontiac did it" I replied.

So then they pull the car in the bay, and I go out there to talk to the guy putting the tires on to make sure he understood the instructions. He also gave me the :confused: look. But when he removed the first back wheel, he looked on the inside, "I'll be damned, it's says 'Front Only'." :biggrin: