Bad trans noises (with video) PLEASE HELP!

mearly65

So I hopped in the GN this morning to head to work. Got about 10 minutes from home and turned onto a back road that runs parallel to the interstate. Got on it for a second and noticed 17.6 KR on the Scanmaster. Immediately let off. Coasted up to a stop sign and it started making the noise in the video. It really freaked me out. Pulled off the road and popped the hood with the car running but no odd sights, sounds, smells, etc. Put it in gear and it started whirring again. Long story short I babied it back home. Car ran, drove and shifted great on the way home. It's just making this awful sound. I checked the fluid at home and it doesn't smell burnt and it's not metallic in color. I want to know what you guys think. I'm totally seeing a rebuild in my immediate future but I'm hoping maybe someone will chime in and say something like "oh it's your TCC solenoid giving out" or "you need a new convertor." If the consenus is that it needs a rebuild, can anyone recommend someone knowledgeable in the upstate PA/southern tier NY area? Thanks for any help in advance

Attachments

• GNtrans.zip
    449 bytes · Views: 74
I can't figure out how to attach the video. Anyone know how to convert a quicktime (.MOV) movie into another format so I can post it?

I can't figure out how to attach the video. Anyone know how to convert a quicktime (.MOV) movie into another format so I can post it?
Try importing the video into windows movie maker. IIRC, you can convert it there. Easiest thing may be to load it on youtube and post a link to it.
Bob

Could be several things....Sprag broke, TV valve stuck, pump shot, convertor, etc. Drop the pan and take a look

I dropped my pan this morning. Everything looks normal. Fluid was nice and red with no debris on the magnet or in the pan. Any other suggestions or tests that I can perform without pulling the trans? Turbo Nasty, you said maybe the TV valve could be stuck. I did manually move it with my hand and it didn't bind on anything. When moving the valve by hand some trans fluid started pouring out of a hole in the valve body. I'm assuming that's normal.

Here's some pics

Attachments

• image-2920076491.jpg
    image-2920076491.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 125
  • image-581157459.jpg
    image-581157459.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3771652634.jpg
    image-3771652634.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 100
No video necessary to see you have BIG noise problems...................
I'd be looking around the flex plate/converter bolt area...A bolt that has fallen into the dust cover will get beat up by the flex plate..........

I'm not currently running a dust shield so it can't be a bolt that got wedged in there. All convertor bolts are tight and from what l can see all the flexplate bolts are in. Can't see any cracks in flexplate either. Plus it only makes that horrendous noise when in gear. Park and Neutral its gone.

UPDATE:
So l purchased a used D5 converter in the hopes that the noise in the video was from a roached converter. It wasn't. I pulled the trans out and found the splines on the input shaft to be worn down pretty bad. Had it rebuilt locally, installed a cooler, and it's been running great for a little over a week now. Maybe if someone in the future has similar issues they'll find this post and it will help them out. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Input Shaft or Stator Support splines? Worn Stator Support splines are very common on the stock non-hardened pieces.