BART-Bay Area Rapid Transit (Police Shooting w/ Video)

Here in the Republic of NJ, Tasers are not authorized. I don't even carry OC.

I carry a shotgun in the car. We have the option of loading the shotgun with less than lethal ammo. With the less than lethal ammo, it has the same critirea as lethal force. So I load the shotgun with slugs.

Feel bad for the BART PO, he made a mistake. I wonder what the other officers thought when they heard the shot.

I guess that protester is prefect and never made a mistake in his life.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Here in the Republic of NJ, Tasers are not authorized.

Any P.D. or just yours? We haven't had them very long. Maybe a year or so. We only got them because it was proven that officers workers comp claims dropped by 50% the first year a P.D. had them. It was about money trust me. Our city attorney gave us balls every time we tried to get them approved. They don't give a crap about us, they just realized they would be saving money. I can't remember the last time an officer had to fight with anyone in our dept. They are more affraid of the Taser then the gun. The only use of force investigations I did last year were Taser related. No hand to hand battles with suspects. Not one. We have video and audio recording on ours. Most P.D.'s don't have this but it is an option. I would have to say that it is a good idea tho. Makes a cop think before he deploys it and it records how the suspect was refusing to comply. You just have to be careful what you say....

There was an officer in TX last year that pulled his Taser out vs. his gun when a suspect pulled out a gun on him. The officer fired his Taser vs. his gun. He died as a result after being shot several times by the suspect.

It can happen. Weak side carry should be mandatory. I feel bad for the Off. He had two years on and now his career and life is probably over.

Thats one heck of a mistake to live with... I agree, he likely thought he was discharging a Taser.

I feel bad for the officer and the Perp.

Could have been avoided if the guy realized defeat when there was 4 officers
arresting him. :frown:

Toronto Police only sargents carry Tasers. Never noticed how they carry them.

Here in the Republic of NJ, Tasers are not authorized. I don't even carry OC.

I carry a shotgun in the car. We have the option of loading the shotgun with less than lethal ammo. With the less than lethal ammo, it has the same critirea as lethal force. So I load the shotgun with slugs.

Feel bad for the BART PO, he made a mistake. I wonder what the other officers thought when they heard the shot.

I guess that protester is prefect and never made a mistake in his life.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
Yo:confused: u show no compassion for the man who was shot while he was face down!:(

Yo:confused: u show no compassion for the man who was shot while he was face down!:(

Not to make excuses for what the officer did. Because they isn't one. But if the MOP wasn't acting like an animal this incident would have never occurred.

You police officers have a tough job and the honest ones have 100% of my respect!

It is hard to call that just a mistake. So very sad...

You guys put your lives on the line daily and I respect that, thank you!

I'm certain the perp was a knucklehead! but the cop had 2other officers with him... 1 guy in cuffs, 1 with hands up and one face down... Should of just gave an easy "beat down" THEN none of this would have happened....The situation didn't seem that out of control that 3 trained officers should of been able to handle easily... Thats one hell of a mistake that officer made. I could never imagine the stress of being an officer being put in that situation. That is why I wouldn't be a cop... apparently the officer in question should of made the same descion I did... He could't handle the pressure...

This was a horrible mistake on the officers part, and, he will pay for it without a doubt. In my eyes, there was no reason to draw a weapon, not even a taser if the suspect was on the ground and cuffed. There were 3-4 officers around the subject that could have easily restrained him until he complied, not to difficult given the situation at hand with the amount of Police on scene.

By benefit of doubt, if the officer was thinking he had the taser, he may get off with a lesser charge if this is the way it's going down. This is going to be a no win situation for the rookie officer no matter what. There had to be a senior officer present when this went down, if so, I truly believe the out come should have been different. I guess we'll have to see what the investigation brings out. Hopefully we won't see another riot or some crap because of this…….

I pray for both, Officer and perp. I just wish the perp would have complied preventing this entire incident. :(

About 4 years ago our Sergeants were issued Tasers then the next year we all got them. I myself have personally shot 2 different people with the Taser.
I can honestly say that if I had not been issued a Taser the fight would have been on with both of the dudes that took the ride. I have had countless other people decide to comply rather then get shot with it...like previously mentioned, more people are affraid of the Taser then the Glock .45 I carry. Department wide our Tasers have prevented numerous "hands on" incidents and probably just as many trips to the hospital for both the suspect and cop involved. Our department policy is really pretty good when it comes to using the taser. Basically our Sheriff says "you will NOT go hands on if you can safely use your Taser."

Anyhow, it's a bad deal what happened to that dude who got shot and the cop who shot him. 99.999% of officers out there do not take killing a person lightly...even it he/she was a shiotbag.

I'm certain the perp was a knucklehead! but the cop had 2other officers with him... 1 guy in cuffs, 1 with hands up and one face down... Should of just gave an easy "beat down" THEN none of this would have happened....The situation didn't seem that out of control that 3 trained officers should of been able to handle easily... Thats one hell of a mistake that officer made. I could never imagine the stress of being an officer being put in that situation. That is why I wouldn't be a cop... apparently the officer in question should of made the same descion I did... He could't handle the pressure...

Ever try to cuff some that is struggling/fighting with you? Try cuffing someone is lying face down and decides to put his arms/hands under his body. Either you have to use alot of physical force or taser him. When you start using physical force, everyone is taping you with their cell phones.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Any P.D. or just yours?

Statewide.

We just had an incident this morning in the town next to us. A Korean guy got poluted and stabbed his cousin. The cousin blocked the knife with his forearm. When the PD arrived, he was standing in front of the officers with the knife yelling "shoot me, shoot me" The officers couldn't fire because they're were in a crossfire situation. Having a taser here would've been perfect, but the we're not allowed to have them here in NJ.

Oh BTW, I had to take a juvenile to the Bergen Regional for an attempted suicide and saw the idiot waiting to get medically/psychologically cleared.

NorthJersey.com: Edgewater man comes between his mom and a knife

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Cant Monday morning 1/4back this incident.

Was not there and the video just does not provide enough to make a judgement. I can say one thing for sure, In Chicago, only our Sgts have tasers and there has been numerous times where we called for a taser but had to deal with a subject with out the taser on scene because Sgts do not normally respond to jobs. I slipped a disc in my lower back about 6 years ago fighting with a guy that could have been controlled with a taser. Great tool, I just hope the Bart incident does not prevent other Depts from approving tasers. They work especially good on Pit Bulls. The one 3 weeks ago sounded like a Yorkie!

Statewide.

We just had an incident this morning in the town next to us. A Korean guy got poluted and stabbed his cousin. The cousin blocked the knife with his forearm. When the PD arrived, he was standing in front of the officers with the knife yelling "shoot me, shoot me" The officers couldn't fire because they're were in a crossfire situation. Having a taser here would've been perfect, but the we're not allowed to have them here in NJ.

Oh BTW, I had to take a juvenile to the Bergen Regional for an attempted suicide and saw the idiot waiting to get medically/psychologically cleared.

NorthJersey.com: Edgewater man comes between his mom and a knife

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

That is just impossible to believe. Sh!t, LA has had them for almost 20 years now! I cant believe that is a state wide policy. That is just absurd. Not everyone in out PD carries one. The only ones allowed to carry one had to be Tasered themselves. I'll admit, It plain sux but worth it! The cowards in our dept that don't carry it were just too scard to get Tasered. Pussies!

Personally I think it is the best tool law enforcement has ever seen. I can't imagine not having one. I feel naked without it. Connecticut is such a liberal state but Jersey didnt seem too bad until I read your post.

I know they have very strict gun laws in Jersey but you guys should put together a nationwide study on the reduction of officer related injuries and bring it to your state legislature. What harm could it do?

Ever try to cuff some that is struggling/fighting with you? Try cuffing someone is lying face down and decides to put his arms/hands under his body. Either you have to use alot of physical force or taser him. When you start using physical force, everyone is taping you with their cell phones.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

No, that is why I stated previously that I would not be able to do what u guys do at all... I thank all you guys that are cops that do know on how to handle unpredictable situations that I'm sure are much more risky than the one posted!.but,He made a very costly mistake and maybe he should have chose a different career choice if he couldn't handle these types of situations....My cousin Is a cop here in Toledo and I hear all kinds of crazy stories....Bunch of Knuckleheads you guys have to deal with... Maybe they should make the tasers all orange or something!

That is just impossible to believe. Sh!t, LA has had them for almost 20 years now! I cant believe that is a state wide policy. That is just absurd. Not everyone in out PD carries one. The only ones allowed to carry one had to be Tasered themselves. I'll admit, It plain sux but worth it! The cowards in our dept that don't carry it were just too scard to get Tasered. Pussies!

Personally I think it is the best tool law enforcement has ever seen. I can't imagine not having one. I feel naked without it. Connecticut is such a liberal state but Jersey didnt seem too bad until I read your post.

I know they have very strict gun laws in Jersey but you guys should put together a nationwide study on the reduction of officer related injuries and bring it to your state legislature. What harm could it do?

Here is some BS we had to deal with:
Massive Blow to New Jersey Law Enforcement

We need search warrants to search ones garbage put out to the curb. Yep, because the garbage bag is not see thru, it's private, hence there there is an expectation of privacy.

We just got the OK to use the Alcotest machine in Jan '09. We have been using the Breathalyzer from 1950 for DUIs. Tell me how backwards this state is.

Here in NJ, the chief lawmaker is the Presecutor not the governor.

The Whole Taser issue is just another example of NJ politics, and politicians. The law stemmed from the problems NYPD had in the late 80's/early 90's when there was a scandal about misuse of the old stun guns by officers (70'th Pct IIRC). NJ's response, to a problem THAT DIDNT EXIST HERE, was to completely ban ANY "Stun Gun" for everyone in NJ, including LE. Until VERY recently the use of any projectile from a firearm, including those specifically designed to be less lethal, was considered Deadly Force, and could ONLY be used in DF situations. It's taken a bunch of situations where people got shot when, there COULD have been other outcomes if LL stuff were avaialble, to get that changed, although we still dont have an AG guideline about what can be used, what standard of training is necessary, and what situations..of course, we hre in NJ, as LEO's cant take a dump without the appropriate AG guideline to follow

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Maybe they should make the tasers all orange or something!

Most of them are yellow actually. Our tactical unit has the all black unit.

It also comes down to which unit you carry. If you carry the one with a camera and audio recorder it is slightly heavier and larger then the one without the video/audio cabability. The unit without video/audio is very small and lightweight and would be difficult to confuse with a gun. The cartridge(Taser deployment unit) is also yellow.

I was offered to carry the all black one but I actually want people to distinguish between the Taser and a gun because like I said the Taser is much more intimidating then the gun in 99% of our confrontational situations.

Here is some BS we had to deal with:
Massive Blow to New Jersey Law Enforcement

We need search warrants to search ones garbage put out to the curb. Yep, because the garbage bag is not see thru, it's private, hence there there is an expectation of privacy.

We just got the OK to use the Alcotest machine in Jan '09. We have been using the Breathalyzer from 1950 for DUIs. Tell me how backwards this state is.

Here in NJ, the chief lawmaker is the Presecutor not the governor.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Considering Jersey is densely populated per square mile then China that is hard to believe it is so liberal. Maybe if there was some crime in Jersey that would be different.....:rolleyes: Newark was 3rd this year in Homocides per capita over 100,000 people.

The garbage is not see through....lol Wow, that's a new one. Ill have to pass that along to my guys at work. Im sure they will get a kick out of that.

Don't you guys have an attorney gereral?

More right for the criminals, that's just great. And they wonder why Jersey is one of the most dangerous states in the nation.

The garbage is not see through....lol Wow, that's a new one. Ill have to pass that along to my guys at work. Im sure they will get a kick out of that.

Don't you guys have an attorney gereral?

More right for the criminals, that's just great. And they wonder why Jersey is one of the most dangerous states in the nation.

We have an AG. I made a mistake I meant AG not Proseuctor.

Yep, we just get more creative ;)

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Most of them are yellow actually. Our tactical unit has the all black unit.

I was offered to carry the all black one but I actually want people to distinguish between the Taser and a gun because like I said the Taser is much more intimidating then the gun in 99% of our confrontational situations.

Good choice!!!!