Base Timing Settings Turbo Tweak Chip - Why?

8UWITH6

Keepin' The Shiny Side Up
My question is what contributing factors are incorporated into your decision on the base timing settings for a chip? Im not talking about the different combo of parts installed on any given car and all the other variables listed on your website. Im talking about 2 very similar cars. For instance, on my daily driver, you programmed 24/22 timing on my alky chip. Is this pretty much the standard for alky chips with a mostly stock car? Or through trial and error is this what you have determined to be the safest for the car while still yielding great performance?

Im asking this goofy question because on both of my cars, I have seemed to benefit from adding significant timing to the chip.

My WE4 was 24/22 timing on alky. I have worked it up to 26/23 timing and added 5% fuel with no problems. Then, when talking to my buddy Deron, his cars chip is programmed 28/25 timing on alky.......and they are very similar combo cars.

Then we have my GN chip at 23/21 timing and it ran very well. The car has always like timing if your remember on my race chips and I do realize alky is different than race gas. However, I have worked the car up to the 26/24 timing with 5% fuel added and the car feels like an absolute monster. Yes, Im aware that the more timing I add the smaller the window gets for errors.

I guess Im asking you when should I stop adding timing? I can only imaging how many chips you have burned over the years, but Im just trying to get a better understanding of the numbers and base settings in your chips so I know where that fine line is. I dont expect you to tell me where to stop, because every car is different. Im just trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of her as safely as possible.

Discuss...........

and do you members that run the best chips out there deviate from your base settings much?

Hey Neil,

I almost always use 23/21 on timing for alky. Sometimes with a stock turbo I'll do 24/22.

The only reason I would go higher is if the customer specifically requested it (like Deron).

A lot of people have increased their timing and have good results, but you have to be on top of things. I wouldn't go higher than 25-26 degrees unless it was a stock turbo. You can usually make more power by increasing boost.

Makes sense.

Sounds like your experience speaks for itself here.

Just so you know, the GN feels great, 27-28psi of boost. I dont think Ill add anymore timing :eek: Or boost;)