Basic questions on how the 200r4 regulates the shift points

PaulRV6

Hi guys, was wondering if you could explain how this trans regulates the rpm at which the shifts occur? Is it only controlled by the engine speed? I was told that at WOT throttle the stock trans should shift at btw 4900-5200 rpm. Mine seems to shift lower than that so I am trying to figure out if I have a problem. So what if I am not at WOT but close to it, what would the shift points be?
What else goes into controlling the shift points, TPS, etc?

paul

Hi guys, was wondering if you could explain how this trans regulates the rpm at which the shifts occur? Is it only controlled by the engine speed? I was told that at WOT throttle the stock trans should shift at btw 4900-5200 rpm. Mine seems to shift lower than that so I am trying to figure out if I have a problem. So what if I am not at WOT but close to it, what would the shift points be?
What else goes into controlling the shift points, TPS, etc?

paul

In your other thread you said you pinned the gov spring with a set screw. LOT replied that you added wieght to the gov weight and that will decrease the WOT shift points. The 200 is completely hydralic as far as shift points go. No other input other than the gov TV system for shift ponits.Fix the gov and the 48-5200 stock shift points will come back.

To put it simply...throttle position/TV cable position/throttlevalve position vs driveshaft speed/govenor speed. More simply, throttle position vs govenor speed. Clear? :)

Ok I think I understand. So is pinning the spring an unnecessary step? I took that step from PTSextreme.
Should I get rid of the setscrew or just replace the governor with a new stock one? I don't have a scale to weigh anything and don't really want to do any grinding.

How easy is it to remove from underneath the car?

Thanks for the help.

paul

If you want to make sure the spring doesn't pop out, pin it or tap the hole & install a 8-32 Nylon screw.
Drain & drop pan, remove the 4 bolts holding Gov cover on.

Attachments

• 2004R Gov Cover 1.jpg
    2004R Gov Cover 1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 193
It's easy to swap the gov out. Look at the pic above,it's under those 4 screws. Or remove the metal screw and install a nylon screw...not sure where you would find one..but that's a very good bit of info cause nylon should not affect the shift points much if any.