Bearing failure / feed line rescritor

Amelio

I just had my turbo off to replace my flange gasket....

During this I noticed oil caked up on the bottom of the turbo between both halves.....this usually indicating a bearing issue.

I checked my shaft play and sure enough it has some.....

I have had this turbo for 12 years or so...its an old dinosaur TE-66 but it works good and I have never had a complaint.

In that time it has had several bearing failures and it has been rebuilt by precision several time...the last time was about 3 years ago.

I have recently seen several post regarding a restrictor in the feed line and if that is not there it will cause premature bearing failure. With that being said I have an old school turbo saver on the car also.

Is the restrictor something I can visually inspect? I have never known about it or even thought about it????

Since I now have to have this thing built again, what is the general consensus on swapping the journal bearing to a BB?

Who have you guys used to do the swap and were you happy with the results?

The only restrictor I'm aware of is for BB turbos and it's there to keep from flooding the cartridge with oil. PTE recommends no more than a -4an feed line for all their turbo's.

How does oil caked up indicate a bearing failure?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

How does oil caked up indicate a bearing failure?

One way is the thrust goes out and the sealing ring gets thrusted on and fails then oil leaks out into the ex. It doesn't mean bearing failure for sure though

BPE2013@hotmail.com

One way is the thrust goes out and the sealing ring gets thrusted on and fails then oil leaks out into the ex. It doesn't mean bearing failure for sure though

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Bison,

What else would indicate a bearing failure or going that way.....I figured since It had shaft play that something was not right......every time I had some shaft play in the past it was also followed by a leak.

I do not have any signs of wet oil and there is no oil in the inlet bell or in the throttle body, there is just caked up oil on the bottom side between both halves.

Do you feel it needs to come off and rebuilt?

If so is it worth upgrading to a BB setup?

That is oil that has been fried from the heat from the turbo. There is a spec for axial end play and radial bearing clearance.

Bison,

What else would indicate a bearing failure or going that way.....I figured since It had shaft play that something was not right......every time I had some shaft play in the past it was also followed by a leak.

I do not have any signs of wet oil and there is no oil in the inlet bell or in the throttle body, there is just caked up oil on the bottom side between both halves.

Do you feel it needs to come off and rebuilt?

If so is it worth upgrading to a BB setup?
If it's out of spec it can and probably will leak oil. I've seen std bearings run with -.010" shafts. The amount of oil flooding from the extra clearance will not drain back adequately and leak into the ex. I can't say for sure if it needs to come off but if there's a possibility it was contaminated id pull it off

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Bison is there a set acceptable spec on clearances for all turbos or will it be different for different models of turbos?

If it's out of spec it can and probably will leak oil. I've seen std bearings run with -.010" shafts. The amount of oil flooding from the extra clearance will not drain back adequately and leak into the ex. I can't say for sure if it needs to come off but if there's a possibility it was contaminated id pull it off

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Ok so I can put a dial indicator on it and measure the shaft play......if I am within .010" are you saying I am good?

I realize the oil leaking is most likely due from excessive play....however as I said its caked up and is very small. If the shaft is a little loose but within spec I really don't mind as long as the car continues to run like it does.

I think he was saying .010 is high. I've seen specs that say end play should be .002-.005. But can't say that applies to all turbos. If it were mine and it has been running fine I'd clean up the caked oil In the drain area and run it.

I wasn't referring to any spec at all. People have "rebuilt" their turbos and used the wrong bearings in their turbo. Like building an engine that's -.010" and using standard bearings.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Another thing to take note of is the pluming on the turbo saver. I've seen the big lines reversed. That can send unfiltered oil into the turbo.

Rick