Bearing issues

One more Photo different perspective

Just wanted to show one more photo of bearing cap from block. As one can see the coating and bronze surface are completely gone.

I am trying to problem solve and eliminate possible points for problems. I think cap alignment might be ok. Now I just need to fully understand how the transmission can play into this.

Balooned converter - I've had this checked it wasn't an issue.
Restricted trans cooler - not sure, I have a perma flow cooler with lines that are larger than the stock line I think -4 or -6. I need to understand how this might cause thrust failure.

Improperly installed torque converter - I did not shim or measure when I installed. I do know the hub of the converter was stuck in the crank. I had to pry it free. When operating does the torque converter actually move back and forth hence the name flex plate? The plate allows for this slight movement.

Attachments

• Thrust Bearing#3small.jpg
    Thrust Bearing#3small.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 173
snout stuck in crank!!

I would be looking @ that as my source of thrust bearing failure. Maybe some trans experts will chim in or better yet post in the trans section.

Did you ever lay the crank in the block and measure the thrust? Then put the cap on and measure it again????????

lazaris said:
Did you ever lay the crank in the block and measure the thrust? Then put the cap on and measure it again????????

I am @ .007 without the caps, I will measure this evening with the caps.

Mad_Trbo said:
I do know the hub of the converter was stuck in the crank. I had to pry it free. When operating does the torque converter actually move back and forth hence the name flex plate? The plate allows for this slight movement.

Ding ding ding.. you have a winner..

Converter is suppossed to slide freely in and out of the back of the crank.. this allows the flexplate to flex back and forth.

Better check the interference of the hub of the TQ converter and the back of your crank... next build.

You just answered your problem.

Razor said:
Ding ding ding.. you have a winner..

Converter is suppossed to slide freely in and out of the back of the crank.. this allows the flexplate to flex back and forth.

Better check the interference of the hub of the TQ converter and the back of your crank... next build.

You just answered your problem.

One of these days, I'l ll learn - right?

I'm working on correcting this as you read, thanks for the feedback Razor.

Mad_Trbo said:
One of these days, I'l ll learn - right?

I'm working on correcting this as you read, thanks for the feedback Razor.

One of these days.. :D

Always learning..