beat out a Firebird T/A

MistaScott

Abnormally Aspirated
A shiny red T/A (about 2000 model) rolls up next to me and tries to pick a fight on a four lane road, relatively car-free. I give him credit for at least recognizing my machine and slowing down.

Bingo, light changes to red so we pull up. I try to build a good rev and get some boost at the line. I am mostly stock but I am tuned up well and the air is nice and cold. I knew it would be a good race since T/A's run about a 14 quarter stock. Light changes and I get off the line so-so. Both of us are spinning tires big time and moving all over the road side to side -- good ol muscle car racing. We are even to about 30 mph, then the boost wakes up and I start moving ahead. I look over at him and try to catch the look on his face as the turbo moves my black beast forward. Only got about a car length ahead before I had to slow down for the car in front of me. I was at 75 MPH and he knew he was beat but he proceeded to do a ricer-style fly by until he was well out of sight. Even without mods, TRs are bad machines.

Good kill man, those new ls1 TAs are beast, they can run mid to low 13s stock, but obviously not with the wheel spin you both had. Usually when they hit 3rd they will start to reel in a stockish GN but you held your own pretty good. Get some more mods on that thing, you'll love it

As the past owner of a 11.80 Turbo-T and current owner of a 1999 SS I am guessing your victory was due to the LS1 having poor traction.

My Turbo-T in stock form before I went mod crazy was a low 14 second car. This was on a virgin 39,000 mile car.

My 1999 SS M6 with 9,600 miles with the only mods being a Borla catback and TSP induction lid is a 13.00 car. I have raced lightly modded turbo Buick cars in my SS and beat them handily.

Not a flame but having owned both cars a stock Tubo Buick is no match for a stock LS1 car.

I have a test pipe and a K&N so that may make me a little quicker than stock but not much.

Neither one of us got any traction for awhile. I agree the LS1 should have me in most races especially in a vette. But, the stock Firebird was rated a 13.9 quarter mile so it should be pretty even. The new GTO is along those lines as well (13.8 or so in the quarter).

Before I did the major mods to my Turbo-T just with a test pipe and open K&N I ran 13.40's at 106mph.

A stock M6 LS1 will baseline at 310 to 315 real wheel hp and should run a consistent low 13 in stock trim depending on driver skill.

My main point was that stock for stock (having owned and loved both cars) the Turbo Buick is no match for the LS1.

In any event I REALLY miss my Turbo-T. Not enough to get rid of my SS since the LS1 is an incredible motor but would like to add a Turbo buick as a garage companion.

Yes stock gn versus a stock LS1 is no match.But a modded LS1 and a modded GN sorry but that LS1 is going down as far as low 13's go i don't think so maybe a 13.3 on a good day they run 13.5's stock all night long corvettes c5 will run a 13.0-3 stock .Personally i hate LS1 cars why cuz one kicked my ass when i thought i was bad with kn,and chip.But once i got my alky kit and my scan tool we raced again boy was it funny he keep racing me over and over again i keep taking it to him 2 to three cars lenths oh yeah his car has headers,slp cat back,and it is an ss 01.

Saying a modded GN versus a modded LS1 with the LS1 losing is a bit vague.

Sure, bigger turbo, front mount IC, injectors, alky, chip...... and you should beat most MILDLY modded LS1 cars. Keep in mind at least from my own experience with my Turbo-T that mods to Turbo Buicks don't come cheap.

A set of long tubes, and a cam for under $2,000 and an LS1 will put down 400hp to the wheels and turn 12.50-12.70's. My Turbo-T ran 11.80's but that was after spending WAAAAAY more in mods.

Still love both cars but I am a beleiver in the LS1 for bang and reliability for the buck. And I sure don't miss leaking rear main seals.

I'd hope a car built in 99 wouldn't have any leaks yet.:confused:

Bang for the buck= GN all the way, I'd like to see you make a LS1 anything turn up a 11 sec run for 1500 bucks!

Originally posted by V8'sHAHA
I'd hope a car built in 99 wouldn't have any leaks yet.:confused:

Bang for the buck= GN all the way, I'd like to see you make a LS1 anything turn up a 11 sec run for 1500 bucks!

It has been done by a few people with Automatic cars not so easy with a 6spd.

I went 12.11 with my 98 back in 98 for about 1k but my tranny didn't like it:mad:

Airbox $125
NX wet kit $650
Nitto DR's $350

Originally posted by P.Henry
Saying a modded GN versus a modded LS1 with the LS1 losing is a bit vague.

Sure, bigger turbo, front mount IC, injectors, alky, chip...... and you should beat most MILDLY modded LS1 cars. Keep in mind at least from my own experience with my Turbo-T that mods to Turbo Buicks don't come cheap.

A set of long tubes, and a cam for under $2,000 and an LS1 will put down 400hp to the wheels and turn 12.50-12.70's. My Turbo-T ran 11.80's but that was after spending WAAAAAY more in mods.

Still love both cars but I am a beleiver in the LS1 for bang and reliability for the buck. And I sure don't miss leaking rear main seals.

Show me where on LS1.com or ls1 tech that ONLY a set of LT'S and a cam will make 400rwhp.
I'd like to read it.
Maybe the cams have gotton a lot better in 2 years?

If a TR with a front mount ,bigger turbo, injectors,chip, ect won't eat a Mildly modded LS1 alive something is wrong!

My 86 T-Type I recently sold was a LOW 12 car with only 20psi with street chip,Stock turbo,intercooler with dutt neck, cheap poston's,downpipe,blowmaster exh, on an untouched long block with 144k miles on it.
With a race chip and 22 psi 11.9x's wouldn't have been a problem.

I NEVER lost to a mildly modified LS1, I was usually out on 100 oct and cheaters.

Don't go out with your pants down!

a cammed long tube ls1 can make 400 hp, a friend of mine with a WS6 has a cam, long tubes, dumps, ram clutch, and other bolt ons, put down 402 at the rear. Not including NOS , a turbo regal can go faster for less money with out a question. And even a stock turboed car with good traction will take a cammed ls1 from a stop due to our torque advantage. From a roll its a differnt story. Both are badass cars though

Wow, this can get uglier than Camaro vs. Mustang discussions.

Let's admit both cars are fast.

No buick GN's are the biggest baddest cars on the block, and always will be. :D Jk i Love SS's my cusion had a 00 with a few mods and we ran neck and neck and all i had was the basics and a THDP 3". Thats probably the only thing that kept me up with him.