Best Driveshaft??

L

LikeMy6

guys,
I havent seen much discussion on driveshafts here and decided to get some input. on the street driven StageII cars what shafts are you guys using? Is it better to use aluminum or Chrome moly steel? anyone using Carbon fiber shafts? Would aluminum be ok behind a 700fwhp StageII street/strip motor w/o using a Trans Brake? What about ATRs aluminum shaft anyone twist or break one? Was looking at Mark Williams shafts too, very nice and $$$.

I appreciate any info

Thanks

Frank

I have a similar question about using aluminum driveshafts with a T-Brake. Is this OK? How many of you guys run an aluminum driveshaft with a 400 and a brake? Anybody ever break one?

Dave

You dont want an aluminum driveshaft on anything high horsepower. They wont stand up to the torque.

As far as a plain steel or chrome moly shaft, best thing to do, unless you wanna spring for a Mark Williams or something is just to go to the track and ask the race car guys what they are using. I would wager there are a few shaft builders in your area.

I have been using alum driveshafts for several years in high horsepower, heavy applications,[over 3000 lbs.] without failure.
The key is the right shaft diameter and wall thickness. We use :
Inland Empire Driveline 1-800-800-0109 Ontario, California
I am not affiliated.
Carbon Shafts have an additional quality of suppressing driveline
harmonics.,Used succsessfully in pro-stock and NHRA comp cars.
The nicest lookind piece I have seen is the Mark Williams,it is simply artwork. You should expect to pay upwards of $1,000.00
with yokes.[maybe more since I checked]. MW 1-800-525-1963.

Okay.. let me clarify which is what I should have done to begin with.

The aluminum driveshaft sold for the Buicks THAT I HAVE SEEN which may or may not be the one that ATR sells was rated to about 600ft/lbs of torque. I don't consider that ideal for high horsepower, heavy cars.

Obviously there are better pieces available according to Jay so if your sold on aluminum you should still have some options.

I once had an aluminum shaft I bought from Kirban for $150. It lasted um...like 3 passes then it broke on the line as I was power staging when I hit the foot brake to stop once the stage light came on. Snapped at the joint between the aluminum shaft itself and the front spline assembly. This was only on a mid 11 second car.

I still have it and keep eyeing it.....let's see, a little JB Weld here, some chewing gum there...............

Chris

I had an alum now have chromoly. My alum is in a few pieces with a nice hard launch :(

I am using a denny's nitrous ready.

Steven

I use an Inland Empire carbon fiber driveshaft on Stage 1 680 ft lb motor. Nice piece, but pricey. If it breaks, the shaft will have a "broom" effect, polishishing the underside of the car :D

http://www.iedls.com/