Best place to get a TE-44??????

tpabayflyer

I have been thinking about upgrading my stock turbo on my 1 owner 87 GN... I had it replaced under warranty at 58K miles and I have about 65K miles on the replacement. It is working just fine and I did buy a rebuild kit for it but I think I want to upgrade to a TE-44 and throw some alky on it as well!!!! Who has the best deal on TE-44's now??? I want to stay with the .63 housing as I am still using the stock trans..... I do have a BGC elbow and a homemade 3" DP with red stripe inj and chip etc... also.....
does anybody still sell the dutweiller big neck to weld on my stock intercooler??? TIA TBF

I read that thread on the new GT 3255 turbos and it sounds good..... but it is a 4 bolt bolt setup and I have a 3 bolt with the bgc big elbow.. wil I have to change my downpipe as well?????
is there an adapter to convert a 4 bolt exhaust to a 3??? If I have to change the dp I will probably just stick with the te-44...tia TBF

They do make an adapter, but are you sure you need one? I'm no expert, but it seems that turbo is a little (or a lot actually) small to be running on a 4-bolt setup. It's got to be available with a 3-bolt housing.

On the 44's... I bought mine from a place in Alabama that's not really a buick vendor. The do DSM stuff mainly. I got screwed. Started smoking after only a few months. Got the old "oil contamination" story.:rolleyes: It was re-built by Precision and has been fine ever since. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the vendors on this site.

Originally posted by tpabayflyer
I read that thread on the new GT 3255 turbos and it sounds good..... but it is a 4 bolt bolt setup and I have a 3 bolt with the bgc big elbow..

I would think the Buick vendors would be selling them with the 3 bolt setup, since that is what the buicks have stock. I would call or email the vendor of your choice and see if it comes with a 3 or 4 bolt setup. Or ask someone on the board who recently installed one.

David
87GN

O.K. Nasty.. thanx for that info.... that changes things a bit as I don't want to go through the hassle of changing my exhaust.
It seems like this turbo is pretty well liked on the board. Would anybody else out there use this turbo in lieu of the te-44????
it sounds like it is an updated, more modern design and may be the way to go. TBF

I can tell you it has awesome midrange and holds it to the top. I can tell a significant pull sooner in the powerband compared to my 86 GN w/ a TA49.

Call Mike at full throttle and ask him about it.