best sbc crate motor

dfast1

Power Stroked
I have a 68 firebird that is currently being redone. It never came with a tranny or motor so this is not going to a #'s matching car. I am trying to figure out what the best dollar for dollar sbc crate motor would be. Any idea's? I was thinking the ZZ383/425.
I would like to have at least 400 hp.
I would also like a built 3.8 turbo engine too but havent came across what i have been looking for. Mainly somebody having one in missouri for sell.

A friend has the regular 350 zz3 in his camaro. He has had no problems what so ever with it and has been spraying it with a 150 shot for the last 5 years. He has said if anything ever happens to it he will buy another crate engine.

I helped my brother put a ZZ4 and Doug Nash 5-speed in a 73 Vette. That thing ran GREAT. I had told him to do the 385, but he wanted to save money. He priced it out to upgrade after and it was not worth it. My .02, I loved the ZZ4. I would have done the 385. Mark E.

how about the gale banks twin turbo sbc crate?

The gale banks twin turbo sbc crate is my dream engine! But I will never be able to afford that. I am in the airforce and unforutantly it is not the highest paying job in the world. I will like to spend around $4000 for a motor. Thats why these gm performance motors are looking good.

It's a pontiac . Please find a 400 or a 455 and have it built for that car. Those motors can make monster torque. I mean MONSTER:eek: torque
should be able to pick up a complete running unit somewhere local for a few hundred have a good engine builder do it for you. You would be under your 4k limit

poncho power !