BEST speakers for the Concert sound system 86GN

Mark Parks

I just bought an 86 Grand National with the concert sound,and the am-fm casette with equalizer. What are the best speaker replacements for the 6 speakers?

Depends on your style of listening.

I put 3 1/2 polk audio in the dash
5 1/4 alpines in the doors
and alpine 6x9 300 watt in the rear shelf with no adapers, the adapter depends on what 6x9 you chose.

I also went with a 10 inch sub box for the upper shelf of the rear deck inside the trunk, works great and i have a aftermarket radio in the car. I run a mono amp for the sub and and a multi- channel amp for the door speakers and rear 6x9s.. I run the 3 1/2s off the radio.

You dont want to underpower speakers, i guarantee your stock radio will crap out in a few years, they all do.
Might as well go with a complete system or at least pieces and parts toward a total system as you go
BW

The car is BONE STOCK,and I want to keep the radio stock. I'm looking for speaker replacement for the STOCK radio.

First off try to stick with the same brand speakers all around. If you are going to keep your stock radio go with a speaker that is real efficient. JBL is a good speaker to consider if you are not going to amp them. They are a 2 ohm load(actually measures 3 ohms, so safe for your headunit), and about 91db efficient. They are perfect for stock head units without adding an external amp. You can add an amp by using a hi-low converter. Adding a subwoofer will help out the sound quite a bit. There really is no best, and JBL is not really "one of the best", but in your situation they will work well. One other thing.....I suggest sticking with a real speaker manufacturer.

Thanks to all that have replied. I know that the ohms are critical for some of the factory radios to work correctly. I would think that in the 22 years since the radio was installed that there might be some better speakers other than stock. It makes sense to use the same brand for all 6 speakers!!!

I'm pretty sure the factory speakers were 10 ohms, most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms.

I'm pretty sure that the lower the ohms on the speaker, the more power you need to drive them.

I'm pretty sure that the lower the ohms on the speaker, the more power you need to drive them.

This is actually not true. The lower the ohms the more power you get out of your amp, but also works your amp harder. Most car speakers are 4 ohms. I recommended JBL because they actually measure just above 3 ohms. Safe for most radios, and really efficient.

Efficiency is what you want to look at for, to show how power hungry a speaker is.

You need an efficient speaker running off a 20 yr old OEM headunit, and impedance though important shouldnt be a big deal sice you are doing direct replacement. (1,000s of GNs have replacement 4 ohm speakers and have had no issues.) I recommend a speaker that works on small power (100 watts and less). Look into Polk db series, they are not dirt cheap but perform well, and will fit the holes you have. Look at crutchfield.com for your car, and they'll show you waht fits and all your options they carry. Many times they are the cheapest, though I have never bought from them.
Consider going up to a 6x9 rear, the adapters make it factory fit, and your options open up and quality will to.

Boston Acoustics. Once you hear tham and then look at the price you want belive it!!!