Best torque converter prices???

BUICKGN3

Id like to know who has the best prices on torque converters and rebuild kits. Might need one soon. Thanks!

Also can a servo go bad?? I installed a billet servo several years ago and wondering if I need to change it or if its possible that it can go bad?

Id like to know who has the best prices on torque converters and rebuild kits. Might need one soon. Thanks!
http://www.turbobuickperformance.com/ has all you need as well as providing support before and after the sale. Dave is one of the most respected 200-4R guy around and is a vendor on this board. For majority of us cost is always a consideration but this is one of those areas where you might not want to buy based on price alone... just my opinion.

If price is all your worried about I'd probably try autozone or a junkyard.

...now, quality on the other hand......

If price is all your worried about I'd probably try autozone or a junkyard.

...now, quality on the other hand......
Imo you don’t have to pay a wheel barrel full of cash to get a decent converter . I’m lucky that edge racing converters is somewhat local to me and they have been very cool with changing stalls for me at no additional cost . If I had a bunch of cash to throw at a billet bolt together converter I prob would but for a $600 peice the edge racing converter has been a awesome performer IMO .

I have the best price around. Seriously, I have a 10 in PTC L/U I want out of my garage. How much you want to spend

Since you are shopping on price;
I know of 2 very low mile 3200 and clean NLU converters that are cheap. (look in the for sale section)
Both of my buddies changed direction, so they were swapped.

Come on Jerryl, I had my shameless plug in first. But, he's right, the for sale section is awesomely filled with torque converters for decent prices.

I am
Come on Jerryl, I had my shameless plug in first. But, he's right, the for sale section is awesomely filled with torque converters for decent prices.
I sure yours will be cheaper, so no worries man. hahahaa
Trying to give the brother some choices . . . .

I would love to get a higher stall but don't think I can tackle this job in my garage with my tools :(

Not trying to kill anyones sale here but for those who might not know (and I don't mean everyone who has posted in this thread), there are certain inherent risks involved with running a used converter. Again, not trying to start anything but since the OP only has 2 posts I'm ASS-uming he might want to know this info before deciding between new and used.

I am

I sure yours will be cheaper, so no worries man. hahahaa
Trying to give the brother some choices . . . .
I know, I'm joking, but not about clearing space in my garage!

Once you get into the 9s, nothing works like a 9.5 PTC. Not saying you cant go 9s with something else, but you will go faster with a PTC. Proven time and time again.

Listen to Rob.

I have not been into these cars as long as some others. I can say in my 13 years that the PTC 9.5 has more real-world testing that I have heard and read about than any other converter.

This is not to say there are other TC's with more testing, however I have not heard anything about it. I can say on the local guys who run a 9.5" that they do notice a significant gain in performance.

My trans feels like its sluggish, I'm leaning towards maybe just the converter being bad or going bad. It doesn't want to power brake but that could be due to the rear brakes holding better now that Ive got it switched over to vacuum. Even after I let off the brakes it seems real sluggish until I get going a few feet then it breaks the tires loose. It currently has an orange stripe converter bought several years back, cant remember who from, I think it was Modern Muscle then. It seems to somewhat flash the 1-2 shift at times. I installed a new lock up solenoid about 6 months ago,serviced it refilling with Castrol Dexron 6.
Is there any way to determine if just the converter is bad or the trans is going bad and how can I tell if its locking up when it should?

When it comes to Converts, quality over pricing. Otherwise you are just wasting your money and time.

My trans feels like its sluggish, I'm leaning towards maybe just the converter being bad or going bad. It doesn't want to power brake but that could be due to the rear brakes holding better now that Ive got it switched over to vacuum. Even after I let off the brakes it seems real sluggish until I get going a few feet then it breaks the tires loose. It currently has an orange stripe converter bought several years back, cant remember who from, I think it was Modern Muscle then. It seems to somewhat flash the 1-2 shift at times. I installed a new lock up solenoid about 6 months ago,serviced it refilling with Castrol Dexron 6.
Is there any way to determine if just the converter is bad or the trans is going bad and how can I tell if its locking up when it should?

Sounds more like your car needs a tuneup than a torque converter. How long's it been since you welded up the DS header?

Edge makes a nice converter for the price. Andre owns the company and builds your converter. After the warranty is out you can still send it in and he will open it and inspect/rebuild it for $200 and give it a 2 year warranty like new. It's not a PTC or One of Dave's converters but damn good for the price.

Last edited: