Best Transmission "Bolt-ons"?

OKTurbo

What are the best "bolt-on" modifications for our transmissions?

I'd like to keep my 58K mile GN's transmission healthy for a while.

By "bolt-on", I mean things that can be done with the tranny still in the car. I've had a B&M cooler on it since I've owned it.

My list so far: PTS Xtreme Shift Improver (shift kit), Pressure Regulator system, and shallow aluminum pan.

I'm not looking for a complete rebuild since my transmission ~seems~ healthy right now. Just some simple things that I can do to make it live longer.

Thanks,
John

The bottom feeder filter for the shallow pan, adjustable billet servo, 700 L/U solenoid, and pin the govenor spring with a set screw. That might get you by for a while but the band probably will need replacing as the stock ones don't last long. I'd do the band, servo, and band anchor together as they are all on the same team. Unit will have to come out but then you can upgrade to a 10 vane pump too.

Russ, please tell us more about the bottom-feeder filter for a stock pan. I am experiencing cavitation but do not have road clearance for a deep pan.

TIA,

The only one I know of for a stock pan is the 700R4 filter. Use 2 o-rings around the neck and zip tie a piece of hose to the 4th gear pressure switch connection so it doesn't short out on the filter. He said he was getting the shallow aluminum pan, PTS I assume. The bottom feeder filter for that is pretty sweet. I have both.

solenoid

What's the difference in puting a 700 solenoid in, or is the replacement units all 700 solenoids?

I thought the shallow PTS bottom feeder fit the stock pan, shows how much I know. I had wondered about just using a 700 filter.

Russ,

Are these things the average shade-tree mechanic can do? Or does a transmission shop need to do these?

I'm really just looking for some simple things (like the shift kit) that I can do. My car only has 58K miles on it.

Can Bruce's pressure regulator kit be done with the tranny on the car? What about the billet servo....could I install and adjust this with any success?

Thanks,
John