Best upgrade from stock

timdesu2000

Wanted to know if there was a turbo that was between stock and a ta49? Its a street driven car with mild upgrades. Running 20 to 21 psi with alcohol. Would like to have a stock appearing and direct bolt on that spools well with the stock converter but would be more in its correct maps for this psi so it wont be heating the air too much. Car has a dut neck intercooler, good down pipe and exhaust.
Thanks for the input,
Tim

At that boost level, I doubt you could tell the difference between a stock turbo(in good shape) and a 49. You may just need to bump the timing up to make the car fun to you again because their really isn't a turbo in between. You aren't really heating up the air like you think, and on top of that, you have alky.

You wouldn't see much with anything else. The stock compressor and turbine are well matched. Increasing the turbine requires a converter and the stock turbine will choke flow bigger compressors. Turbo/converter should have been done before dp.

So you think the down pipe is a negative upgrade with a stock turbo? At what boost levels would I need to start thinking an upgraded turbo?

So you think the down pipe is a negative upgrade with a stock turbo? At what boost levels would I need to start thinking an upgraded turbo?

I just upgraded from a stocker with alchy and I was pushing it to it's limits.
IMO, you need to start running 24psi to notice any major difference with a different turbo.
IMO, for what you are wanting the stock unit is the best out there and you can push it a bit farther since you're runninng alchy. I pushed my stock turbo to the point where I completely closed off the wastegate and I let the turbo make as much boost as it possibly could and all it would would make with an open dump pipe was 23psi but this was a lot funner than 20psi!
I've since upgraded to a 5831 which is similar to the TA49 (its kind of an updated TA49/TE44) you want but now I'm looking at 28psi which is in a different ballpark than the stocker.

A 3" DP is never a negative upgrade.

Here's my un-scientific tests results and writeup on the 5831 I just installed:
http://turbobuick.com/forums/threads/any-feedback-on-precisions-new-5831.378020/

KS

Thanks for the info. I have always heard less back pressure is always better. I havent really pushed the turbo to see how much it can build. Possibly booking some dyno time to play and tune some. Might throw another pound or two of boost in to see how it responds.

I don't intend to confuse, but if your engine flows air better than stock... (GN1 heads and bigger roller cam) you won't get any boost out of the stocker..... my motor makes 22 psi + on the stock turbo at 3000 RPM..... and by 5700 RPM..... boost is down around 11 psi..... with the WG as tight as I can get it on a HD actuator.

With the above senario.... short shifting keeps higher average boost (hence torque) and yields quicker times for me. I think stepping up to a larger turbo will yield major improvements for me over the stocker.