best way to test CIA kit?

postal

Peoples champ runner up
I live to damn far from race tracks and I'm too damn busy to go as much as I would like. Heres what I want to know: Whats the best way to tell on the street if a Cold air induction kit is hurting or helping me? Heres what I'm thinking:
1. make a blast down the road and observe where the boost is at. Then switch to a reg MAF pipe and see if boost goes up or down. If it goes down then it breathed better with CIA kit and vice versa.
2. monitor MAF readings in drive at full boost with and w/o the CIA kit. Then which ever set up gives the higher reading was the one that was breathing better.

Any inputs or other ideas on how to tell if its hurting or helping? Please dont say try it at the track. Runs down the track are to few and far between for me to get any thing acomplished. Especially when I have so many things that need looking into.

TIA: Jason

jason,
u CAN make ur boost go up by reducing ur inlet restriction.

BUT ONLY IF YOU ARE USING A STOCK STYLE WASTEGATE WITH THE WASTEGATE SOLINOID!

the deltagates that u are using respond to manifold pressure and would compensate for any changes in inlet restriction.

i dont think this is your problem. although the scoop may be causing turbulence.

just face it ...ur car knew it was in my playground. the schoolyard bully will be back soon

Restrictions in the cold air kit will only affect your top end charge. I had a clogged K&N cost me 5 MPH on the big end. no 1/8 MPH difference. So up to 100 MPH no change.

Shortest MAF pipe with biggest filter.

HTH

Jason,

I think you could borrow that leaf blower from RJC Racing (you know, the one they used to demonstrate the power plate at BG) ;).

Then, you could measure the air flow through one induction, and then the other. The one with the best air flow potential is going to be best for the car. There is prolly such a small difference that you'll never be sure which one is the best performer while its installed.

My two cents :)

Are you going to join us by posting your data to the TTA FAQ PERFORMANCE section? You have a lot to share :)

leeb

This winter I plan to make a CAI myself and have just a few ideas of which direction I will take. Do you have any pics of your install? I'd like to see what others had in mind.

Sorry no pics. I'll have to see if I can barrow a digital camera from a buddy.

Jason

I tell you some thing thats strange. I'm getting what I think are high maf readings but my o2's are right. I run an extender extreme chip now and fueling is based off maf readings. I was just out tonight trying to see if I fixed a pre-turbo exhaust leak(its still there). Anyway my MAF reading at 10psi was 228. Actually it was 76 but you multiply that number by 3 when using extender extreme chips. Doesnt 228 seam kind of high for a stock long block at 10psi? The car was actually pulling pretty good even at that low boost.

Jason

For that large of a turbo I don't think that MAF # is too far off. The way I see it is that at 10 psi with your current turbo is prolly like 15 psi with the stocker....that is the volume of air passing through the MAF and the density overall. The stocker will peg 255 PDQ, now imagine what that big wheel turbo is doing!