BIG problems

Well that presents even more of a problem if the gopher motor is not turbo specific. It's not comming in till monday so i still have a chance to change my mind about what i'm goin to do with the motor. I will talk to the mechanic and find out all the details. I don't want to get the wrong engine for this and waiste my money. Does anyone know a good machine shop around here that i could get all of this taken care of at? I want everything to get done right so i'll be able to sell it quicker. What kind of ball park figure am I lookin at to get something like that done?

thanks
dan

WOW!!!!!!

I almost did not get into this but, since I am from around here and know Aaron for the last couple of years and had the pleasure of meeting Dan and his father, I will. I have seen this car and seen it run, to my knowledge their was no problems aaron has been with the small club here in town since before I got in to it. I have a hard time with the fact that the car just broke the crank in half after just a few days of driving the car around like you said you were. If I had gotten a car like that when I was 16 as soon as I was out of site from Dad I would have hamered it, and then after the first time I would have done it again and again. If I sound like I speek from experiance I am. When I was sixteen I bought a 75 Trans Am from the orignal owner who was about 60 with 75,000 orignal miles, about two weeks later I spun a rod bearing(probably the cars fault) doing a smoke show for my friends about two miles from your house dan. My point is if you can get a car like that at your age and poke around in it like you said then great, your probably the first. When you came to my house to lok at my turbo t I gave you my opinion on buying one, told you myself or a couple other people in the club would be happy to go with you to look at any car you wanted even if it wasnt mine. I also should you the recipts from the GN that I still own after only a 1000 or so miles on the new motor. Dan if you feel that you need to take this to court with aaron then that is your call. I heard about this a while ago as my Dad saw the car sitting along side the road. As you know dan I am from the area you live in a few of my employee's live in your town, a bunch of people I went to school with still live in your town, since everyone I know knows I have a GN I have heard stories of this situation before I knew that you bought aarons car, now that I know whos car you bought I felt I needed to stick up for him as everyone seemed to take your side so quickly. Anyway I also told you about getting junk parts and letting people work on your car that have never worked on GNs before, simply DON'T. I tried to help you guys when you came to my house , when I bought my GN I did not know anything about them,I was trying to keep you from making alot of the same mistakes that I did. Aarons car is a nice car he took care of it and did not abuse it, every time my car was at the dragstrip his was home in the garage lol. Also I have heard alot of bad things about reman motors without turbo parts lasting about as long as an egg timer under boost ( be careful).
I am pretty much done babaling on about this so I will go crawl back under my rock. I just thought someone should be on aarons side here.

P.S. what is the octane of that Caseys gas anyway?

P.S.S. Dan, with a small town like yours how many GNs do you suppose their is(they all look alike)? With a small town like yours and all the people I know what do you suppose the chances are that I got a phone call about being in, or outside of town doing something stupid in my car with my brand new motor? Funny thing is my new motor has not even been fired yet.

Oh well food for thought

This is the thing that makes me mad. Everyone thinks that just because i'm 16 and got my dream car that i was out there goin around every corner burning up the tires, but was any of you physically there with me when i was driving, no. I'v been trying for a long time to find one of these cars that was good for me and didn't want to screw it up and go out and get on it every chance i had. I'm not saying that i didn't get on it but isn't that was these cars are made for. I don't think that the amount of driving I did in the car would take the crank out. I don't think that Aaron knew of anything that could happen, but the fact is he did lie to me and my dad to our faces to make the car look more presentable. I'm actually thinking that the rebuilds on the motor weren't done right, they probably didn't put the right crank in there to begin with and it just happened to break down when i got it. The mechanic that put the new engine in is perfectly capable of doin the engine swap. He's ASE certified and knows turbos because he works on deisels. We are not goin to take Aaron to court, we decided to sell the car and take our losses which won't be peanuts. I know your Aarons friend and are siding with him because you may think i'm just a dumb teenager hot rodding around and broke the damn thing within a matter of days, and that's find you can take it anyway you want.

p.s. I don't know why you think i used caseys gas but i used Wareco 93 octane gas,

Don't make the mistake of having a "family friend" work on you GN. My mother-in-law had her house painted by the nicest guy.

It looked like it to.

The GN's are not like other cars. Most of the people here will not take the cars to the dealer for work.

Your not loosing any money by letting the car sit until you find a good GN shop.

Start trying to find that shop. Might send an email to the guy that owns casper electronics in chicago and ask him for some shops, www.capserselectronics.com

Not that this will help, but, I got a call this week, from the guy who bought my TR last February. He asked me if I had put a two-piece crank in the car? In other words, he broke the crank in half. His original claim was that he was just coasting into work, (he's a mechanic by trade), and it just started knocking. Later on, the story changes to "he was under 14psi" when it let loose. Who really knows, as it doesn't change the fact that it's broke.

My point is; things do break, and sometimes it is the fault of the driver, and sometimes it's just miles and miles of wear and tear. Things do get fatigued, and they break thereof. It always sucks when it happens, but, what you need to learn from this is; if you plan on owning performance related cars, and plan on hot rodding, then you also need to plan on spending additional money repairing them and replacing parts. It's just the nature of the game. It should always be in your budget, on top of the actual car note. In one of my earlier posts, I mentioned my first TR breaking 1 year after I bought it, which hurt my pocket book too, being in college at the time. However, I had a weak stock fuel pump, and was still trying to cram 20psi through the motor, so,,, it was my fault! I took my licks, and rebuilt it better. I learned a ton, and do not regret it happening now.

I'm not implying that you abused the car, (although common teenage sense would say otherwise). I know that my first car was not a performance ride, yet I thrashed it like it was a pro-stock racer. If you have been careful, and not stretched its limitations, then you have far better youthful discipline than any of us did, and you will do very well in the real world, when you get there. You seem like a smart kid, and are ahead of the curve by what I've read.

Finally, you are now stuck with making a decision on repairs. I agree with what everyone else said, in that, DON'T buy a reman "gopher" style motor, even if you're gonna sell the car. It would not be fair to the next owner, and then we'd be reading their posts about how they bought a lemon too.
Fix the car right, with the correct parts, and it will be better for you and all parties involved! There is enough information readily available to you, in order to let a reputable mechanic rebuild this motor, as long as you provide the proper specs. As mentioned, call Casper's in your area. Turbo cranks are the exact same as the crank out of a 4.1 motor, so you should be able to find one in a salvage yard, from many 1980-84 Buicks, Olds, or Cadilacs. The one I'm putting in my current rebuild is out of a 4.1 motor. $250 for it.
As mentioned, building a TR 3.8 does take some additional care over building a loose small block Chevy, but it's not an impossible task that only NASA can accomplish. A good machine shop should be able to prep or even build your short-block for you with the right tolerances, and then you and your boss can do the rest.

As for the reputation and info on the guy you bought it from, well, he does sound to be on the "up & up", and I really don't think he intentionally sold you a junker. You, unfortunately, just happened to be in possession of it when it finally cratered. I can assure you though, there is a logical reason for it, whether it be from detonation, or poor machine work from the original rebuild. The crank was probably the original one though, as most people would not replace a crank with a rebuild, unless the rebuild was necessary from having spun a bearing, or an actual broken crank to begin with.

Sorry to ramble on, but I really am trying to help you, as I've followed this thing from beginning to end. Best wishes...

I cannot see how someone would be responsible for the failure of a 3 or 6 year old rebuild on a TR that had no problems previously, and was running good at the time of sale,but all of a sudden broke the crank while"cruisin". Sorry, this is hard to fathom.
Just because someone has worked on diesel motors that have turbos does not mean he knows anything about TR's. Same goes for ASE certification.I know because I have been a heavy equipment mechanic 20 years,and Instructor in the USAR. I didn't know squat about these TR's and I learned the hard way.
What do you mean they probably didn't put the right crank in there. Heck, if you have determined that the crank is broke then certainly it can be seen if it is the right crank or not. Do you know? I certainly would.
TR with a 36,000 mile warranty on a new or rebuilt engine? Heck, sign me up!
I have bought and sold a lot of vehicles. Rule#1: Don't put any money into a vehicle that you are gonna get rid of.

well, i'm glad to hear my old toy is back on the road, gopher motor or not. jtoups, you were correct in your assumption, the original motor spun a bearing resulting in the new crank during the rebuild. dan, i'm sorry that this whole situation occured and i wish you the best of luck with the car. dont sell the damn thing, you just dropped plenty of $$$$ into it, enjoy it in the cool fall turbo air. aaron

I would love to keep the car but ther's two main reasons i'v decided not to. First, It's more money than i can afford trying to pay off $4000+ and my parents want me to pay the difference on insurance for full coverage. Next, i have to have a car as a daily driver and i would have to drive it during the winter on salty roads that'll eat the paint away and rust it (two things i'm very concerned about and shoulda thought about earlier but was too excited). So we're goin to try and get $8500 for it and lose over $1000. I wish we woulda just got it machined, but by the time i found out that we shouldn't go with the gopher moter it was too late. I'm goin to call up gopher and talk to them about the exact specs of the motor. What kind of questions should i ask them about how they built it? My dad called once but he doesn't know very much about these cars, they said they'v sold quite a few of these and haven't had any complaints. I'm also goin to put a post in the general tech area and see if anyone has ever bought one of these motors and if they'v had problems. I want to get as much info as i can.

when i sold my 66 GTO, i was delivering itto the buyer and on the way there the tranny broke. I had to have it rebuilt before delivery and lost $700 on the deal.Timing is everyting.

Plenty of time before the winter shows up to POR 15 the frame and undercarrriage of the car.

About $45 in materials and you do all the labor yourself.

Rustproof the car and drive it a few years it will grow on you.

An $8500 car isn't a showroom stocker show car so drive it and enjoy it.

Winters aren't all that bad with 4 snow tires. :)

Well it may be that easy for you but i just can't afford this car. I wish i could. I guess i just learned a lesson from this whole deal, and that's about it.