Big wheels

karkid

I called up simmons and got quoted $2500 for 18x8.5's in front, 18x9.5's in back. I was planning on doing this at the same time i get Baer Brakes next year (end of year actually). What would I have to do to go with a wider wheel in the back, like a 10 or 11? I'm already cutting out the fender lip and putting in the GNX flares. Or can I put 9's up front and do all four wheels, 18x9?

I have 18x9.5's on the rear of mine with 17x8's up front. I do think that if you do the backspacing right, you could get 18x9's up front, but it would be tricky. I thought about 18x11's on back of mine, but decided after some measurements, it would take A LOT of cutting to get it to work. As it is, I have 5" of backspacing and it's really close to the fender lip with mine (and yes, they DO fit without hitting the frame. EVERY car is different, so measure for yourself.) Pics of the car are on my website below.

Derrick

what exactly do I measure? I really dont know anything about the science of aftermarket wheels : )

I just used the stock wheels when they are mounted on the car and measured from there. The Gn wheels are 15x7's with 3.5" BS. Which means they stick out/in 3.5" on either side of the wheel mounting flange. Then just measure from there. I made a bunch of little sketches to keep it all straight in my head.

Derrick

Originally posted by tazgn
I just used the stock wheels when they are mounted on the car and measured from there. The Gn wheels are 15x7's with 3.5" BS. Which means they stick out/in 3.5" on either side of the wheel mounting flange.

GN Wheels have closer to 4.0"s of backspacing (3 7/8"). From the inside of the bead to the mounting flange its about 3.5", but backspacing is measured from the back of the rim.

Originally posted by UNGN
GN Wheels have closer to 4.0"s of backspacing (3 7/8"). From the inside of the bead to the mounting flange its about 3.5", but backspacing is measured from the back of the rim.

UNGN is correct, I would also like to point out that the original GN rim has 4 1/8" of front spacing (sticking out) and not 3 1/5" as TAZ wrote. Even though the wheel is considered 15" by 7" the actual width is 8" inches from wheels lip to wheel lip.:)

Originally posted by karkid
I called up simmons and got quoted $2500 for 18x8.5's in front, 18x9.5's in back. I was planning on doing this at the same time i get Baer Brakes next year (end of year actually). What would I have to do to go with a wider wheel in the back, like a 10 or 11? I'm already cutting out the fender lip and putting in the GNX flares. Or can I put 9's up front and do all four wheels, 18x9?

Email Rick Elam at Baer Brakes, he has Baer brakes and Simmons wheels, 18's as well. So if anybody can give you accurate info about this stuff he can. If you have already contacted him...cool but i am sure he can answer your questions.

His email is ricke@baer.com
And the Phone there is 602 233 1411 open from 8-5 MST.

Tell him Jamie sent you, and also tell him to get his car running!!!!:D :D