Bigger problems with new engine

dthrock

Previous thread http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=292891#post292891

OK heres whats going on now. The first message about the car being hot was from just driving the car home from the garage. I kept it under 40 for the most part and it was running hot. Now that Ive had it a couple of days there is soemthing else wrong with it. Heres the scoop.

The car has no power at all. When you step on the gas it doesnt build any boost. You have to floor it to get it to even go to 5#s of boost. It studders and just doesnt go. We tried turning up the turbo thinking maybe it was all the way down but that had absolutely no effect, still no power. Took the elbow off the turbo and cleaned up the puck to make sure it was seating. Sealed a small leak on the elbow that would produce a puff of smoke when you started the engine. Fixed the Y connector on the tubo to point the right way. Noticed the O2 sensor wasnt counting correctly so replaced that as well (was supposed to be replaced with new engine stuff but they forgot it). Still no power. There is a clacking sound coming from the engine that shouldnt be there. Thats what made us think that maybe a lobe was wiped, along with the previously mentioned problems. It could be anything Im sure but that noise bothers me. Im hoping for a cam sensor out or something else simple. I definately dont want to take the damn motor apart again.

I had a local machine shop do all the engine work and from what I can tell he did everything right. I took him an article from GM Performance that talked about how to rebuild these engines and he even called the guy in NY who wrote the article about a couple of questions he had on it. They talked for 30 or 40 minutes on how to do things the right way. After the engine was done it was put back in by the same garage that took it out. The guy who owns the garage was a Buick dealer and has had GNs or TR's since they came out. He has worked on lots of these things. They have done most of the work on the car so far.

## questions from Chuck###
Has the "garage" that did the install, ever done a GN b4?? I'd be looking for several things if they haven't!
1. MAF in backwards, damaged?
Maf is in correctly, had it off and on yesterday

2. Grounds left off of head, not allowing fan to work?
As I said, not to worried about the fan thing. I think the relays are shot. Have some of those coming in today.

3. Inj harness on wrong injectors?
This is a possibility. They had to replace one or two of the injector connectors because they were getting frayed on the harness. Will have that checked.

4. Coil and module not grounded?
Will check this too.

5. Fuel line pinched, twisted?
Check 3

6. Cat plugged up?
Cat is gutted. Nothing done to it since engine was changed and it worked fine before.

7. Vac lines in wrong places?
Check 4

8. Intake gasket and other gaskets on wrong?
How can you tell this without taking it apart?

9. Cam sensor set CORRECTLY???
This is what Im hoping is wrong. Would be an easy fix. Check 5

The chip isnt the problem I dont believe. The one I had in it to start is basically a stock chip modified for the fuel table for 50 # injectors. If anything it might have been a little fat, but a mild chip for break-in. Just to verify, I pulled that chip and put in a Jay Carter 100 octane chip for 50# injectors. Absolutely no difference in the way the car was acting.

On a side note I had 5 quarts of oil on my garage floor saturday morning. I started the car up. It took 3 or 4 times to get it to turn over and start. Once it was running I looked down at my guages and noticed the oil pressure was at 20psi. I was baffled. So I turned off the car right away and hear a pouring sound. I get out of the car and ALL of my oil is on the floor. Once I got the car out of the garage (pushing it) I found that the seal around the oil filter had pushed out the side and emptied the oil. The filter came off in my hand when I turned it. Anyone ever have this happen before? Was it just a bad filter or was the oil filter not properly put on? Ive never had a filter pop like that before.

Dave

Oil filter should not come off like that, it was obviously put on wrong. As for not getting boost, check your crossover-pipe. If it is two-piece, it could come apart and you will not have any boost or very little.(has happen to me)

Good luck,
Alex

The oil filter was put on wrong. I did this to my Kawasaki once, there's a little o-ring that you replace when you put the filter on it. Well I failed to remove the old o-ring. So I'm hauling ass at 90 mph and suddenly I'm sliding all over the place. I come to a stop and shut the bike off, and the whole rear of my bike is covered in oil. Not fun. :mad:

2. Disregard the fan; Are ALL the grounds attached to bare iron on the back of the headS. Is there one from the d/s to the tranny bellhousing? If any of these are missing, or poorly contacting the car will give you grief.

3. Be CERTAIN the injector harness was repaired correcly and that each harness clip is going the appropriate injector. It is written on each clip as far as cyl number goes

4. It is very easy to forget that one of those ground wires went the the middle coil-pak mount bolt and put it elsewhere...be sure it's there.

5. Did the puller remove the fuel lines from the rubber flex fitting as it comes out of the frame before he pulled the engine? If not have a look in this area for a 'folded' fubar kink etc in the steel line.

7. This is very important also. Look at your 'old engine' pics and note the routing of the vacuum lines. A reversed check valve can be a bugger to spot. A leak can be harder to find yet create far bigger problems.

8. In any of the intake gaskets I've seen, it is simply not possible to have in backwards. The water passages are cut in each end of the gasket!

9. Call a buddy with a cam-sensor installation tool and the experience/knowledge to assist. Follow the included instructions to a T and light 'er up.

Good Luck.
Jim

The no power thing sounds EXACTLY what the car feels like when an intercooler hose pops off. See if the boost is bleeding off somewhere or through a vacuum line.
Also give the EGR valve a whack (a shot in the dark I know)

As for the oil filter check to make sure it wasnt cross thredded. Hopefully the oil filter boss isnt trashed