Bilstein shocks

Mike Mags

I have bilstien shocks. Today I noticed I had some oil on my garage floor under the rear tire area. I found tat my rear shock is leaking. Has only about 1,400 miles on it. Anyhow i need to order another one and replace the bad one. The shop did the initial install. Whats the best way to change a rear shock? Should i jack up the car? When I realease the shock will the rear fall and spring pop out?

Thanks again

Jack the car up from under the center of the rearend to where you have it high enough to fit jackstands on each side of the frame where the lower rear control arm brackets are. Slowly let the rear down to where the tension on the springs is let off. Leave the floor jack in place. Remove the lower shock bolt and then the two upper bolts, remove the shock and replace with the new one. EASY.

Thanks for the info. I was going to buy some jack stands and a hydraulic jack. I guess now is a good time!

Will driving on the bad shock cause any problems? Just until i get a chance to replace it towards the end of the week.

Nope.

The ride will suck and the wheel travel there won't be normal but if you drive safely no problem.

One week no problem.