Blackberry Passport users here?

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
I'm tempted to get a BlackBerry Passport. :) I don't know much about them, but I like the keyboards that from what I've seen, only Blackberry's have.(y) I don't want to buy it from my phone company because it'll very likely be locked to them and I want unlocked and they will ask me to sign another contract.:rolleyes: I've seen a few on Ebay but I don't know if it's safe to buy? If yes, then great but if not, can I buy one from an independent seller (like the small shops found in the middle of some shopping centers)?
Also, what will I have to do to transfer my current phone line to it? May sound like dumb questions but I've never done this before…:(
Thanks,

Claude.

I feared no keyboard a few years ago. If you decide you need one. Make sure it works on the network you subscribe to, gsm or cdma. Get it totally unlocked or at least unlocked for your provider. I haven't bought a phone from a provider in years. Too much out here at much better prices to get bent over by the man. Even the refurbished stuff has worked well for me over the years. Just pay attention to the description. If it doesn't say it is included it isn't. Also make sure you have the charging cords for what ever you buy for the house and vehicle. And screen protect and some kind of protector for the phone. I like the tpu covers on eBay.

Thanks Rich for your reply. I already spoke with a gentleman who buys and sells used cell phones and he has a new unlocked BLACKBERRY "BOLD 9900" which he'd sell me for $100. + my old iPhone 4S traded-in. (y) I'm supposed to go see him later today. ;) After looking for a while on the internet, I've come to the conclusion that the "Bold" model should be plenty for me and is a tad smaller that the more expensive "Passport".:rolleyes:

Claude. :)

Finally got an unlocked BlackBerry 9900 yesterday with the original charger for $100. (used but very good condition) with my old iPhone 4s (which I wanted to get rid of anyway) in exchange. They (BB 9900 and IPhone 4S)were both released in 2011 and although there are some more advanced ones on the market now, it certainly is plenty for my needs. I make and receive calls and do an occasional texting but that's about it. It's also quite slim and takes much less space when I put it in my jeans pocket than my previous one. I've already downloaded the instructions manual but I still have a few things to figure out…Maybe someone here can help me?…
--> 1° Is there a way to turn off the password that it asks me to enter each time I want to use the phone?..
and
--> 2° How do I download some applications…and what's trhe best place to find them?

Thanks,

Claude. ;)

Last edited:
You have to go into your settings, then look for security. In that you can set or deactivate the password to the phone.
Apps are download through BlackBerry World app on your main screen. Otherwise you can go online and download apps from the net if it is compatible with your phone.

You have to go into your settings, then look for security. In that you can set or deactivate the password to the phone.
Thanks for your reply "ttypewhite"…(y) However when I go in the settings and then in "security", then on to "passwords", on the first line at the top, it says "activated" but there's a tiny padlock icon besides it which (I think) is what stops me from disabling it…:mad: Is there a way around this, to "deactivate" it?

Claude.

Thanks again Mike for your help… I watched the video a few times, looks quite simple to do but will doing this erase everything else in the phone (like my contacts list) ? Also will this bypass the need for a password only once or will be done permanently? In other words, is this a measure to start the phone in case someone forgot or lost the password or if it will disable the need to enter a password permanently?

Claude. ;)