Bolting on girdle, no machine work?

CopGn

How many people have done this? Is it worth the trouble of bolting the girdle on without machine work, with the engine still in the car? I am hoping I can find a way to strengthen the bottom end without taking apart a perfectly good motor. A lot of Ford guys are doing it without the machine work and was wondering what would be the difference.

According to some that really know about such things, a girdle's main job is keeping the Main caps from working back and forth. Not to act as *diaper* to hold them up against the block.

I believe Carrol in one of his *Tune to Win* series of books best explains it. And some of the Indy Car SBF exemplify this. As does side bolts for the mains.

If it was me, I'd pull the engine just to be able to get in and set the clearances as suggested. Doing it in car, would be a royal pain IMO.

Might think of adding a few roll pins to keep the caps in alignment with the girdle.

The girdles I am familiar with are the ones by RJC Racing that we have installed. Caps need to be machined, spacers welded on the rear main cap, shims and studs installed. All this requires a line bore and final hone for proper bearing clearance. The caps can be machined out of the block.

I would like to see how many 1/4 mile "trips" the motor would run if this was done in the car?:D

P.S. Bruce, studs extend through the girdle to help keep the caps in alignment.

I've done this but the motor needs to come out of the car. I sent the stock caps to Jason for machining. The motor was apart so after I put the girdle on I took it to the machine shop to check the line bore and all was good. It can be done without a line bore but I would not be comfortable if it wasn't checked.