book time to pull motor

89IndyTA

Never enough time........
Any one got a guess on what the Chilton/Mitchell book time that is given to R and R the TTA motor? Looking for a price to anti up to my bud for the shop time. :D

Don't know about Chilton, but you should have no problem getting it out in Three hours. I just did mine by myself in a hour and 45 mins.

R+R

You better give yourself 4-5 hours to take it out correctly. Make sure you mark everything so you can reassemble it a lot easier. As far as the gteater , I wanna know how you removed that big heavy steel hood by Yourself!? That is with no damage to it. This time estimate includes NOT discharging the A/C or unhooking the power steering lines. Also includes removing intercooler, turbo, radiator and accessories off the front of the motor and leaving the tranny in the car.

with a friend, it took about 2 hours to remove the hood, drop the trans from the bottom and pull the motor.. About 3 going back togehter.. These motors are cake to R&R as are the transmissions.. This was done at my shop with a lift and air tools and such, add time for jack stands, hand tools, etc... I'd say book time would have to be a good 8-19 hours to R&R though..
Joe

PS- Oh yeah, the AC compressor and power steering pump were just unbolted and pushed to the side so there was no need to evacuate the AC or make a mess with PS fluid dripping everywhere :)..

time

I figured on getting help taking the hood off and then doing the rest of the job yourself. I also took into account this guy had never worked on a TTA before and would need to mark hoses, wires and routing and keep all the right bolts where they belong. I could do it in 1 hr and 45mins to, but you would have a big pile of bolts and parts to figure out how to reassemble when your ready to reinstall. That is a right if you have done it 3 or 4 times before. Lets face it when we yank a motor out it is usually a couple of weeks or months till all the machine work and reassembly of the motor is complete and ready to install.

mine came out in 3:35 min with the help of one of the original PAS mechanics. if you need to find out how, leave your phone number (and your real name ) at thomasmpwhite@cs.com and I will tell you how we did it. this guy knew his stuff when it came to the "Heavy Stuff"