Boost At the Line????

screwdriver

Addicted to Speed
What are all the thing that would cause my car not to build any boost at the line. It also has a slow build from 0-7 from a roll. I need to know what are all the thing i need to check to try and fix this. My 60ft times are horrible 2.7, 2.6, but on the other hand my top speed in the 1/4 is 113-115mph at the line. Anything that would help with this low end problem will help!!!!

First check your wastegate to see if the puck closes and seals off against the exhaust housing. Make sure it moves freely and closes all the way. If it doesn't seal off then it will be slow to build boost.

If that checks out then my next guess is it has the wrong torque conveter. If the tranny was ever rebuilt by a local shop there is a good chance they installed a D5 which can be for a turbo regal or a Monte SS. We have seen it several times. The car will build no more than 3#'s of boost no matter how you hold the car and builds slowly until it finally reaches full boost waaay out of the hole.

I don't see how the tune could be off that far rich so it about has to be something mechanical

hmm could be the wastegate actuator thing...

i had a heavy duty one on and if i ran less that 18 psi... the flapper would not be completely closed and i ran super slow boost spool up

i put a stock adj. one on now and spool up like a devil!

good luck locating the problem!

My problem was a leaking rear wheel cyclinder, never leaked enough to come dripping out, but when I pulled the rear drum, it was caked up with fluid build up from the brake fluid getting burned from the heat and the cyclinder was all wet. Replaced with S-10 cyclinders and soft shoes, now I launch with 15# of boost on the foot brake.
Check to see what rpm your rear tires are starting to break loose at, if its before the stall of your convertor, it may be a brake issue.

The wastegate actuator spring closes the wastegate. A HD actuator spring is heavier, therefore, all other things being equal, the wastegate should close MORE securely. Perhaps your actuator was improperly aligned or otherwise FUBAR???

:)

id bet on the converter. had the wrong 1 in my car a feww years ago and couldnt even spin the tires with my foot on the brake or build boost.

I have a friend who recently had his transmission rebuilt with wrong torque converter and he can't hardy do a burnout without stalling the car, off the line is awful as well since he is not building any boost but runs great once he is off and running.

For some reason, if a tranny builder does not have first hand experience with TRs, they build the tranny back to 2004R specs for a Monte or Regal 305 it seems like almost everytime.
Mine filled in some of the holes on the shifter plates saying they had been modified and drilled out according to the specs for 2004Rs. I told him that tranny had never been apart in the life of the car except to drain the fluid and I did that and nothing had been drilled. The car and shifted very soft like a Caddy.
Took it back and told him the TR tranny is different than the 2004r in other cars, appearently he had the specs and rebuilt it again and it shifts right now and has a higher stall convertor now .