Boost Level Keeps Dropping.

ItStillSlow

Okay so ever since I've swapped the stock turbo and went to the TE44 I've had this problem where ill set the boost and within a couple of days of driving it will drop 1-2 psi. I've got a boost controller (nxs I believe its called) so I just have to keep turning it up. Anyone have an idea what this could be?

aftermarket gauge?
Maybe actuator is going bad. Is the jam nut tight on the rod?
Exhaust leak?

Yep aftermarket gauge. Just got a call from the exhaust shop and they said no leaks and I got a new actuator with the turbo. But that jam nut seems to always be loose. Do you think that would be a good possibility of being the problem?

A few things I’ve learned over time that contribute to this issue are,
1 The temperature of the air out side
2 How hot the actuator is.
In cooler weather I have seen more boost pressure ~1-2 psi with no changes.
And at the track I have seen my boost drop off a psi or two if I do back to back run.
This was with a stock actuator with my HD actuator and Holman (ball and spring) boost controller I rarely see a 1 psi change at any time, but opening my dump will gain me boost and faster spool up.
I’m not saying you will have the same results as me but I would take note on the two things I mentioned. These cars do strange things some times. Good luck with getting it sorted out.

P.S. my jam nut is always loose; lock tight didn’t work for me on it.

Well it has been super humid lately. But its just odd it seems like it takes longer for to spool completely everytime I have to turn it up with the controller. When I first put the controller on it worked fantastic. Then the boost started going down shortly after. but it never goes back up. Btw its also ball and spring.

Ive had boost issues both up and down for the last 2 years. I just bought the RJC boost controller and I got 3 good runs on it. It stays dead on so far. I have it on my external gate pipe instead of the bleed off style that most external pipes use.

Weather makes a very big difference. I was out on a Saturady last summer for a nice ride. Temp was about 85-87 and very humid. Car was making about 25lbs. We went to dinner and sat on the outside patio of my friends restaurant till about 10:30. It had cooled down to about 65 and the air was real crisp. I hit it on the way home and it went to 27lbs or more before I got out of it. No foolin'. Huge difference.

Double check all your boost hoses. How much boost are you running?

:biggrin:

So I got the car back today from the exhaust shop. Its definetly an exhaust leak. I thought they would be able to find it while putting new mufflers on but oh well. you can hear air just escaping from underneath the drivers side door sounds like its possibly coming from the crossover pipe but not 100% sure. Thanks for all the help everybody.