Bought a 85 GN looking to go fast

OK so after days of reading and wearing out the search button....:biggrin:
I think I am going to convert my 85 hot air set up to an 87 IC set up. First off I DONT WANT to stay stock. I plan on a larger turbo FM IC ported intake and heads(Champion). ................ SO AM I MISSING ANYTHING TO THE CONVERSION?

Sorry man, I can't help with that, never done that. :wink:
While MANY have gone this route, my suggestion (based on lots and lots of reading and people who actually converted the car) is that you sell the car, and purchase an IC'd car.
It will be cheaper and you will be happier in the long run.

Also, you may want to replace the "search button". :tongue:
TONS of info on this conversion. :eek:
Good luck!! :biggrin:

Oh, PS:
I am only suggesting selling the car, because it "appears" you just recently purchased/got the car, and there is "no or minimal emotional attachment" to it.

Larger turbo will probably need a Torque Converter, either re-install the stock one or get a better one. If the car still has the stock exhaust and cat, I'd recommend either a high flow cat or test pipe and a hooker or better catback exhaust system. Does the car have a posi? If not you'd probably want to get a Eaton. Depending on the tranny, you may need to rebuild it and install a shift kit.

All these are things I had to do whether I was converting to an IC car or not. All in getting my fast on:wink:

87 ECU...............................................yes
87 engine harness.................................yes
87 pullies and brackets............................yes
fad up the fuel line
87 t-body (RIGHT?????)..............................no
ELECT fan (already in the car).....................?
87 headers...................................................yes
87 coil pack...........................................yes
balancer (do I reall need this?)..............................no
cam sensor (do I reall need this?)....................................yes
passenger side relays and mount (do I reall need this?).......yes
main accessory bracket.................................................yes
alt and ac comp y bracket...............................................yes
turbo mount bracket.............................................turbo mounts to header
oil feed line (and modify the block).............yes, or drain to pan
crank sensor bracket (do I reall need this?).........yes
turbo drain line and block fitting............yes
fuel rail (do I reall need this?).....................no..84/5 will work on 86/7
inj harness................................yes
coolant lines...................yes

Stay HOT Air until you get all the necessary parts. In Birmingham, not to many GN parts as it used to be. Reid at Turbo Specialties can help you. Most of the GN guy have dwindled. If you can find Scott Porter he can help you also. My car is in parts right now. I have a 87 intake being modded right now. I am going to run HOT and and Cold. I have had my HOT Air for over 14 yrs. I have tried NOS. It ran real good on a 50/75 shot. I never got greedy with NOS. Used a Kenne Bell chip and no cat convertor. Got low 8.10's in the 1/8th mile at Lassiter Mtn. Then I saw Scott Porter's "May Tag White" T-Type and everything changed. Scott was running a intercooled 4.1. Scott was also good friends with the "imfamous Leeo and Dwayne". He ran a similiar setup to Leeo's, only with the biggest intercooler Spearco sold. It was awesome....

I am going with the 87 intake. The Buick Engineers change the intake in 86 and it flows better. It will also allow the turbo to remain the stock location. I have a few pix. Upper doghouse must be modded to clear the turbo.

Attachments

• 000_0623.jpg
    000_0623.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 237
  • JS1.jpg
    JS1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 241
  • JS3.jpg
    JS3.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 237
  • JS20Man20intake20kit.jpg
    JS20Man20intake20kit.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 234
  • JS20Man20intake205.jpg
    JS20Man20intake205.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 240
Going this route, you will only need a 87 intake.... 87 computer (you will need it even if you stay HOT... better chips available). 87 electric fan for radiator. 87 Mass Air (I am running a 87 Mass Air with the HOT Computer.... Blew the 85 Mass Air, decided I was going to upgrade.. Never got around to change the 87 Computer...

Attachments

• Bluehose1a.jpg
    Bluehose1a.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 233
  • bluehose2a.jpg
    bluehose2a.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 231
  • bluehose3a.jpg
    bluehose3a.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 227
  • bluehose4a.jpg
    bluehose4a.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 232
Now thats what I am talking about I like that Hot air/cold air set up can you still run a big turbo with this set up or are you limited to the ta33?

Now thats what I am talking about I like that Hot air/cold air set up can you still run a big turbo with this set up or are you limited to the ta33?
I had a 85 t type with the 87 conversion. The good thing about it, was that I purchase the car that way. The first car I was going to buy was a 85 hot air car, and some members said the same thing, to just buy a 86/87 car. I got lucky and got the 85 t type with 87 setup, but after evaluating the car the exchange was not that bad. I loved these cars growing up as a kid, and I did'nt care what changes I went through, as long as I had one of them. However , if you do not know anything about mechanics and electrical, just buy a 10 second hardtop.

keep me posted on this also, my goal is to just break in to the 12's for bracket racing. I will not be upset with any times in the 13's though. I have an 87 ecm, and getting the parts to convert to 87 coilpack and module. Is it a must to go with an electric fan?

i like that 87 conversion, what needs to be done to intake? do you need the TB fuel rail thats it?

i like that 87 conversion, what needs to be done to intake? do you need the TB fuel rail thats it?

Let me clue you in real fast. Basically the hot air heads and block remain the same. Everything on the whole motor needs to be replaced. ECM, wiring harness, all brackets for AC, PS, IGN ALT....... Need to be replaced. The best way is get a complete 86/87 engine and swap. Good Luck. Brad

Go 87 plain and simple
Do you want to create new technology on a 25 year old setup?
Everything you do is ONE OF
In the long run you will spend $$$ and what you end up with is just that
ONE OFF
Been down this road with Turbomotion and others so
I'm VERY happy with my second yes 87 setup:)
You think you saving money
Why did GM go to the 87 setuo
Why has the big guy's modified the 87 setup
Because it WORKS
I could have done the samething on my 84 block
Still have it as a backup motor
Going to put in a small cam roller 201/201 with 885 lifters
With the 885 I can run higher RPMs
First two current setup
#3 old 87 setup
#4 84 Rat's nest of pipes
New setup now I'm breaking things:biggrin:

Attachments

• New IC setup 3.jpg
    New IC setup 3.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 159
  • New IC setup 4.jpg
    New IC setup 4.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 87 setup1.JPG
    87 setup1.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 84 GN5.JPG
    84 GN5.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 158
Let me clue you in real fast. Basically the hot air heads and block remain the same. Everything on the whole motor needs to be replaced. ECM, wiring harness, all brackets for AC, PS, IGN ALT....... Need to be replaced. The best way is get a complete 86/87 engine and swap. Good Luck. Brad

AHH, Bummer. guess ill stay hot air...

hey luvn im from birmingham. we should get together cause i just baught my 85 gn and im looking to do the same things you are