BPG Event cage/roll bar NHRA rules STRICTLY enforced!

Some answers:

T-top cars are considered full body cars. 11.49 and quicker need a roll bar, 10.99 or faster than 135 MPH needs a full roll cage.

All vehicles running 7.49 and quicker must utilize an NHRA accepted lower engine oil retention device. NHRA License and chassis certification required for racecars quicker than 10.00.

Hope that clarifies some things! Any other questions....just let me know.

Little more specified from the 2009 NHRA Rule book:

roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.49 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.49. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ¾ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ¾ x .083 chrome moly tubing,

If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing.

BLOWER, i agree with you to a point of safety but.... some of us have very nice cars that we don't wanna HACK UP just to put a roll bar or a cage in. it's not the money factor! did you ever drive a rollbar car on the street as a dd? it sucks! where do you put your family and what happens when your involved in a accident with no helmet on? i'll tell ya, you spit your head open on the bar!
Exactly.

this is all a perfect example of why STREET RACING has gained so much popularity.

nobody wants to deal with this nonsense. I understand both sides, safety guys and the fast "street" car guys. There just seems to be no middle ground.

:frown: A.j.

There just seems to be no middle ground.

Well, I had a 6 pt. roll bar installed after being told by the track officials at Englishtown, NJ...Although the rear part it is welded to the car's frame, the two side bars swing-out and are removable for street use which seems like a good compromise to me...When I want to go to the track, I simply reinstall the sidebars and I'm ready to go! The only drawback is that access to the rear seat is a little difficult, but personnally, I can live with that as I rarely carry more than two passengers...but I understand to some others, it can become a big inconveinience especially when carrying children...:redface:

Claude. :)

Some answers:

All vehicles running 7.49 and quicker must utilize an NHRA accepted lower engine oil retention device. NHRA License and chassis certification required for racecars quicker than 10.00.

**Ok...I'm still not sure about this rule. I've heard 9.99 needs a diaper and then I heard that's for NHRA classes only and not bracket racing. I will post the correct information as soon as I hear back from Jim Layton about this rule. Sorry for all the confusion, I'm a bracket racer running 11.70's, I am new to all these fast class rules!

Some answers:

**Ok...I'm still not sure about this rule. I've heard 9.99 needs a diaper and then I heard that's for NHRA classes only and not bracket racing. I will post the correct information as soon as I hear back from Jim Layton about this rule. Sorry for all the confusion, I'm a bracket racer running 11.70's, I am new to all these fast class rules!

Let me make sure I understand, if we can go under 9.99 we HAVE to HAVE an engine diaper, certed cage, and NHRA license.

Am I correct in saying my ten point won't pass b/c it has not been certed and I can't race b/c I don't have a NHRA license?

I'm a local and NTR doesnt hand out free passes. If you run the number, you better be legal. Especially with all of the attention this has gotten.

I'm not complaining about the safety rules to be enforced one way or the other. Personally I think it's incredibly stupid to go down the track at any speed without the required safety features. I am just trying to get a handle on exactly what the rules will be before I drive 12 hours and not get to race.

My safety expert says the cage will cert 8.5, will someone be there doing certs? Have the paperwork for the license, will someone be there handling that? The diaper, well I'll just borrow one from my two year old, j/k will have something equivilant.

Some answers:

My understanding on the diaper/oil retentions device rule is 7.49 and faster it is required. 9.99 and faster for National NHRA EVENTS ONLY, not for what we are doing. At Milan they do not require a diaper unless you are running 7.49 or faster. The rule at Milan was written into the rules for Outlaw Drag Radial and OUtlaw 10.5 since they have several 2000+HP cars on small tires, not a bad idea IMO.

Roll bar 5 point min tied to frame required 11.49-10.00 no certification needed no license needed.

Roll CAGE, which includes the halo and 8 pt minimum 9.99-8.50 needs to be NHRA certified and driver must have license.

8.49-7.50 Must have 25.5 chassis cert at minimum. If you are this fast you better know what you need and shouldn't need further explanation!

this is all a perfect example of why STREET RACING has gained so much popularity.

nobody wants to deal with this nonsense. I understand both sides, safety guys and the fast "street" car guys. There just seems to be no middle ground.

That's because 14 second Honda's don't need cages....:tongue:

I do agree tho. I just posted a poll to see how many guys have street cars vs. race cars with cages/bars and about 70% on the TR owners that participated in the poll so far say they have no cage/bar. I would say that number will be higher. Probably more like 80%.

So I can only imagine that 80-90% of imports/other muscle cars are the same boat which means STREET racing will never leave the street for the track because the majority of car owners don't want to hack up their car so they can drive it to the track a dozen times or less each year.

When you live in the Northeast or similar climates your season is not 12 months long. It's more like 5-6 months long on a good year.....:rolleyes:

I'm not complaining about the safety rules to be enforced one way or the other. Personally I think it's incredibly stupid to go down the track at any speed without the required safety features. I am just trying to get a handle on exactly what the rules will be before I drive 12 hours and not get to race.

My safety expert says the cage will cert 8.5, will someone be there doing certs? Have the paperwork for the license, will someone be there handling that? The diaper, well I'll just borrow one from my two year old, j/k will have something equivilant.

Yes track will have a NHRA Tech onsite on Friday...still waiting on cost Track will also do Tempoary Certs for the event... still waiting on official word from track about Diaper...Jim told Renee 7.49 but I had heard and read it was 9.99...so we need to clarify that...

That's because 14 second Honda's don't need cages....:tongue:

I do agree tho. I just posted a poll to see how many guys have street cars vs. race cars with cages/bars and about 70% on the TR owners that participated in the poll so far say they have no cage/bar. I would say that number will be higher. Probably more like 80%.

So I can only imagine that 80-90% of imports/other muscle cars are the same boat which means STREET racing will never leave the street for the track because the majority of car owners don't want to hack up their car so they can drive it to the track a dozen times or less each year.

When you live in the Northeast or similar climates your season is not 12 months long. It's more like 5-6 months long on a good year.....:rolleyes:

LMAO! true about SOME of the hondas!

I just noticed over the last few years that alot of serious big boys were starting to appear at street races. Seriously fast, and honest 9 and 10 second cars eating hondas and the "ma & pa" street racers alive! Its almost not fair! not that I street race....:rolleyes: id never condone street racing.

:biggrin: A.j.

this is Jim Laytons response as far as my questions

Sean it is a bracket race so the diaper rule applies to advanced et cars only 7.49 and quicker. We have to enforce the rules including the roll bar requirement. If a someone just dips slightly into the 11.40 range we will be lenient, but the guy that's complaining will show up and run a 10.20 and wonder why, that guy will get thrown out.

Jim

this is Jim Laytons response as far as my questions

Sean it is a bracket race so the diaper rule applies to advanced et cars only 7.49 and quicker. We have to enforce the rules including the roll bar requirement. If a someone just dips slightly into the 11.40 range we will be lenient, but the guy that's complaining will show up and run a 10.20 and wonder why, that guy will get thrown out.

Jim

Thanks for the info Sean! I want everyone to understand I have every intention of having any and all required safety equip, and would really like to get the NHRA license. It's just not a big deal down here, don't know anyone to contact about getting it around here.

As far as what my car will require, shouldn't be too much, we arent' that fast :rolleyes:

Jim got back to me on the NHRA Chasis Certs and it is $150 plus fee to Tech $75 - $100 depending on how many need it....

Jim Layton has revised the Tech Cert it is a flat fee of $150 and no technician fee:biggrin: :) As most of you know you have to be a member of the NHRA to get this cert so make sure you are current with the NHRA...

from Jim Layton

Sorry I was not clear, cost for the Chassis Certification is $150 plus you must be a member of NHRA ($128 for two years $69 for one year). No additional tech fee just the BPG entry fee. On the issue of the license, if you have a current IHRA license all you need to do is get the NHRA required physical and produce a copy of the IHRA License, two time slips from within the last year that represent runs of 9.99 or quicker and we can license you with that - no additional runs required.
Thanks,
Jim