'Brake' light comes on for a second when I first hit the brake pedal?

neat

87 TR, the brake light in the dash has started to light up for a second when I first press the brake pedal. The car still has the original braking system with the electronis assist. My first thought is that the brake light coming on like this is an indicator that the electronic assist unit (I think it might be called the power master unit) is on it's way out. What do you guys think?

I checked the fluid level (it's good) and I haven't noticed any decrease in braking performance, but I'm hesitant to drive the car for fear of the power assist failing.

Thoughts?

Sounds like the accumulator bowl is getting ready to go south. They aren't cheap.

If you go to a chain store, they will tell you they have them, but they only come with a nice shiny remanufactured Powermaster assembly for $550+. :)

Yup, should be the accumulator ball. The only good thing about it is that it is the easiest fix you will ever do on your car. Can be done with one wrench in under 30 seconds:biggrin:

It could go on like that for another year or two, BUT, it is also probable that if you hit the brakes really hard, as in a panic stop, it will feel like you stepped on a brick. The pedal will not move and the car will not slow down, for a second or two. Well, maybe the time is less, but it will feel like forever, because, for the length of time that your car won't stop is exactly the same time that your heart does stop. Get it fixed to avoid crash/heart attack!! Although, it is a good test to see if you have a strong:eek: heart.

i had the same problem last year on my 86 GN (my unit ended up failing on me while i was driving, luckily i was on an empty street and no one was hurt). trust me, save your self lots of time and headaches and just get that powermaster out of there. you can convert to a hydroboost or a vacuum system relatively easily, which are WAY more reliable. i went with the vacuum setup and the car stops well and i never have to think again about whether my car will stop or not at the next light.

You'll need lots of $$$$$$$.

Powermaster units are available from many of the supporting vendors, but , not cheap. I've had issues with rebuilts not functioning properly.

Vacuum (I got mine off a 87 non-turbo Regal) has been suggested by many TR owners, however, I had too many issues & went back to powermaster when they were $199.

Standard (non power) are an option & cheap, however, who wants non power brakes on a TR?

I went with a hydroboost I pulled off a 85 GN & it works well. I see posts on this site of approximately $300 - mine was almost double $300.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure to have someone knowledgeable do the "repairs" - Chevy/Fxxx/Toy/Chrysler mechanics usually don't have a clue.

I agree with all the fellas here...it's probably the accumulator. Paying for a new one depends on how much you value your life, your wife's, girlfriend's, or whomever is driving your car.

When I was driving my '87 GN up to visit my Dad in the hospital back in '04, the brake light would come on for a few seconds every time I stepped on the brakes. Then, in the hospital parking lot....the light stayed on, and the brakes were hard as hell to push down to stop the car. The fricken 30 amp fuse blew everytime I stepped on the pedal!!:mad: I ran through about 5 of those fuses, couldn't figure out what in hell was wrong!!!!

I had my wife follow me home in her car (110 miles one way) while I battled with the brakes in order to slow or stop, with BOTH feet. Finally made it home. I was nervous as a cat. Bought a new accumulator for about $50 from a guy on eBay, put it on, the brakes worked like new again. That is, until I noticed a leak inside the driver's compartment. Brake fluid. So, I bought a rebuilt Powermaster for $340. Worked great. Still does, just, that the car is now on jackstands so I can continue with restoring it.

Don't jack around with your life over an accumulator....they may be $180 each, but your life is priceless. Kinda cheap when you compare the two. Just get the damn thing and put it in, whether you can afford it or not. You need a safe way to stop your car. Don't worry about it, just DO it. You'll be happy with the end results. Very happy. An accumulator can be replaced at anytime....your life can't. Think about it. Be safe, get the thing and get it over with. Then go play with your GN. You'll be very happy.:biggrin:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Bruce it sounds like your motor had an internal short in the windings maybe? Did you figure it out?

OP, check your rear whell cylinders and make sure they aren't leaking. It could be the prop valve or air in the lines also.

Bruce it sounds like your motor had an internal short in the windings maybe? Did you figure it out?

OP, check your rear whell cylinders and make sure they aren't leaking. It could be the prop valve or air in the lines also.

No, Dave, it was the accumulator. When I put on the new one, after releasing the pressure in the master cylinder first, of course, I turned on the key, the pump ran for a few seconds then stopped. I topped off with fluid and was good to go. But, the master cylinder at the rear boot inside the car was dripping brake fluid on my shoes. That's when I decided to get a rebuilt one. I saved the old one for spare parts. Possibly a rebuild someday. Sometimes I use it to weigh down a glued part for my GN. Nice paperweight.:D The electric motor still works, believe it or not. Thus, my tragic story to be told.:( The rebuilt one worked like new. Knock on my head (wood) Thanks for asking.

Bruce '87 Grand National