Brake pedal hard, brake light stays on???

6pack

T-Time
What would cause this condition? The a ball or pressure switch. Not sure if the switch is the black one or gray one, it was raining good as this was happening! The pedal is hard and does not stop the car very good. Light also stays on. Please help. May just go ahead and convert to vaccum.:)

I know you've probably checked this out, but just in case: www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/PwrMstr.html At least yours failed all the time. Believe me, it is a lot better than what mine did a few years ago - just got the hard pedal sometimes - like when you really need the brakes :eek: Been tempted to change to vacuum setup myself.

I believe it is your whole powermaster brake unit. At least that was what mine was. I did switch to the vacuum booster brake system. Have not had any problems and that was ~ 4 years ago. I bought the conversion kit from a company in North Carolina (I don't remember the name :( ) for around $500.

Hard pedal sounds like it's your accumulator ball, but it doesn't explain why your light stays on all the time.....

Send Red Regal T an e-mail and tell him you want a vac. kit shipped out NOW...he's the man. Fast service on good used parts, no junk.

HTH

Erik

when i had the same situation happen to me i just went to a local parts store and got an entirely rebuilt powermaster unit...i went through about 6 of them in a 2 year span (thank goodness i have a lifetime warranty on this) and FINALLY found one that works for more than a month! (the one i have now has been on there for over a year now with no problems) knock on wood!

that brake system sucks, go to vacuum. my brakes just started doing the same thing as yours . its the fourth time its happened . i just ordered the kit from red regal for 115 bucks. it will cost you more than that for a switch or a accumulator , plus youll never have to worry about it again.:D

Originally posted by d0n_3d
when i had the same situation happen to me i just went to a local parts store and got an entirely rebuilt powermaster unit...i went through about 6 of them in a 2 year span (thank goodness i have a lifetime warranty on this) and FINALLY found one that works for more than a month! (the one i have now has been on there for over a year now with no problems) knock on wood!

SOUNDS LIKE THE CHINESE WATER TORTURE! :eek:

HEY 6 PACK......DID YOU CHECK THE FUSE? :confused:

Hard pedal on my car was caused by pump/motor failure, about a year ago. Bought a new one from Hank Terry and no more problems. I think he is listed as a vendor in www.GNttype.org . My light stayed on, but not permanently. I have that powermaster trouble shooting guide, and the symptoms pointed to the switch. Bought a new grey switch, but that wasn't it.

Got the car home today!:D It has the new grey switch and the motor runs and does not quit running, is this normal. I gotta go to work today. I will check the fuses tomorrow. Thanks:D

John,
I probably did not make myself clear, the pump motor on the power disaster system constantly runs, sorry for that! I think it is already fried:eek: You got any of them conversion kits left? As soon as paypal sends me my fregging money, I will most likely be ordering one! ;)