Brake problem

mcroz3

When I first start the car up and back out of the garage my brakes (powermaster) are very touchy and lock up easily once I get out on the road the brakes are fine other than they will lock up easily and I get a groan from the rear brakes. I have s10 Wheel cylinders and Kirban soft shoes but this has been a gradual problem. I'm thinking of replacing the Kirban shoes and replacing the proportioning valve. any other suggestions?

If the issues seem to be in the rear, that's where you need to look.
Sounds like you may have the shoes too tight. I have not had personal dealings with the soft shoes, but depending on the material characteristics it may be bindng and not squealing. You need them adjusted so they just rub a little when spinning the drum. May be diffucult if you have the posi rear.

Good luck

Edit: actually the rear shoes should probably drag a little more than 'just rubbing'. You have to find a happy medium between enough and too much drag. If you have ever done it before, then you know to automatically adjust them afterwards by backing up and stomping the brakes.

Thanks. I do get alot of brake dust from the rear brakes. I do very very few burnouts and the car is only driven 1K a year. The drums do come off and go back on easily not real tight. I'll do the backup adjustment next time out. Maybe I need to get rid of the soft Kirban shoes as well

Ok found one drum cracked and most likley warped. Did GN's come with aluminum drums?. That's what I have on mine. So i have to replace drums and pads and see what happens.