Braking Performance; 60-0 w/ Stock & 12" fronts

Spdrcer34

What was the STOCK 60-0 rating on the G-body cars? Was the GN, 442, and SS all the same when it came to this rating? I don't know how different the curb weights were w/ these cars.

Has anyone done any REAL testing to verify HOW MUCH BETTER the Braking performance is with a 12" or even a 13" front brake upgrade.

Thanks,
Ryan

There have been a couple of articles in car mags about this kind of swap, using Monte Carlos, as I remember. GMHTP may have done it with their Regal, not sure about that. One article was "Project "G" Force" for a "G" body Monte, with suspension upgrade as well as brakes. Big difference, but some of it was tires, don't believe it was a pure "apples to apples" test. Sorry, can't find my copy of the article, and don't remeber the numbers.

Since nobody knows what the 60-0 rating is on a MODIFIED (1LE/Vette/Baer) brakes, what was it STOCK. We'll start there.

Ryan

Originally posted by Spdrcer34
Since nobody knows what the 60-0 rating is on a MODIFIED (1LE/Vette/Baer) brakes, what was it STOCK. We'll start there.

Stock was too long.
My LE, PST rears stop the car in much less distance. And can do it repeatedly, two panic stops from 100 MPH, and the oems we to the stage of fading. So far I haven't been able to get this setup to fade at all, in 4-5 back to back stops from 100.

Did Car & Driver, or Road & Track ever rate these cars?

I remember a GN vs. 442 vs. SS competition in one of these magazines. I remember it listing 1/4 mi times @ MPH, but did it list the 0-60, and 60-0 numbers as well?

Ryan

July 1985 Car and Driver tested Olds 442, Monte SS, and Grand National.
70-0 on 442 was 198 feet, which was better than the other 2 which were 204
feet each.

In the 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Owners manual, on page 7, it gives the following ratings for 60-0 times:

There is a chart showing stopping distances in feet from 60-0mph for different scenarios.

The scenarios are:

----------------------------------------------
Fully operational |Light load 174ft.
Service Brake |Max load 197ft.
Emergency Service Brake
w/partial service brake sys failure 456ft.
Brake power unit failure (max load) 341ft.

I think the last one means the booster has stopped working and it is now manual.

(info thanks to Joe Vitek on the OldsGmail list)

What does the `87 Turbo Regal Owners manual say the stopping distance for your cars?

Ryan