Breaking up at higher boost

TeeTopZ

I recently purchased TTA 537. It has some mods to it such as a an atr downpipe with external WG, larger tb, accufab plenum, bigger injectors, larger turbo and an ans boost controller. I believe most of the work was done years ago and the car had little use.
Anyway, I have been staying out of boost mostly because something is not right. When you get going and boost builds, it keeps goin until almost 20 and starts breaking up. I immediately let out to hopefully avoid serious damage. I can turn the boost controller down, but it still happens.
I ordered a new coil and a silicon vacuum line kit. I will install them.as soon as they come in. But, I have read the atr waste gate is crap. Could the over boost be due to a stuck gate?

Should I just replace it? If so, will either of these work and which would be better for me
http://www.cottonsperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=EXWG0002
http://www.cottonsperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PBO085-1000

I'm not.looking to run that high of boost because I don't really want to run meth. Just want it to run properly and be safe.

It could have seized up Take it off and see if you can push the plunger in by hand

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Also if you get a new gate get a Tial 38 fits nice on the ATR pipe

I would check the valve spring's.. and all the old handywork... if it has sat for a while pull the gas tank.

Thanks for the replies. The guy I got it from just replaced the pump and cleaned it. I put fresh 93 in it. I'm pretty sure it's a waste gate problem.
How do you check the valve springs, or should I just budget to replace them?

93 octane and 20 lbs don't mix well :;

Not looking for 20lbs, that's what it goes up to. I let off as soon as it gets that high

That is why it is breaking up Take the wastegate out and see if you can push the valve with your hand

How much can I safely run with 100 octane? Just trying to have backup plans if the car is actually set up for higher boost

OK thanks. Local station sells it. Just trying to gett this car running right. My GN was stock, so this is a different animal for me

Plunger does not move at all. tried tapping with a rubber mallet, but nothing. It turns, but will not push in. I guess I will have to order that tial from Cotton's

Plunger does not move at all. tried tapping with a rubber mallet, but nothing. It turns, but will not push in. I guess I will have to order that tial from Cotton's

Push in ???? or pull out ... if you pull the rod OUT of the wastegate .. it should move ...if you try to push the ROD into the wastegate it WILL NOT MOVE by design. supposed to move toward the fenderwell .. not toward the turbo

Push in ???? or pull out ... if you pull the rod OUT of the wastegate .. it should move ...if you try to push the ROD into the wastegate it WILL NOT MOVE by design. supposed to move toward the fenderwell .. not toward the turbo

He is running an external gate.

Yes it is trashed Just get a Tial 38. When my ATR gate siezed I had Limit Fix it. I think it was like $50. I eventually got a Tial 38 though.

I pulled the whole thing off and yes the valve was seized. I hit it with a dowel rod and it freed up. I cleaned the valve with a wire wheel and also.cleaned out the bore.
Test drove and seems to work for now. Boost stays solid at about 12 pounds. I turned up the ans controller and saw very little difference. I know that thing is old tech, is there a better alternative now?
And thanks for all the help. I'll probably wait a little bit to get the tial now that this is working. A few other more pressing gremlins to attend to

If the gate keeps working then keep it Make sure to keep an eye on the boost in case it seizes again

I replaced the atr with a precision pw39. THe tial was backordered. I have it setup with the 15 lb spring. The vac line is connected from the compressor side right to the gate. I still get boost creep past 15 and some cutting out. I thought the external should have rock solid boost control. Should I put in a smaller spring? Please help!