Broken Rocker arm and bent pushrod

Was this a fluke, or do I have something messed up? Haven't had this issue before, but just got the motor back together. Can having not enough lifter preload cause this by chance, because I did use shorter pushrods than the previous time to get my preload in check. I'm wondering if I got it too loose by accident. There wasn't any valve train noise before this happened. Had kind of a lot after it did. Lol.

#5 cylinder. Exhaust rocker broke and intake pushrod is bent.

View attachment 320105
Did your lifter come pop out as will? Mine did when the rocker arm broke and I lost all oil pressure. Nevermind, you're running Morels.

Last edited:
Still running correctly after about 25 miles.
Good to hear, when mine rocker shaft was broken I was doing about 125mph and the RPM was around 5800 and the lifter blew right out of the bore. Should've listened to people on the board and just had it rebuilt as they suggested after I said my CAM lobes had been wiped. Instead I spent $1600 for a CAM swap out and to drill the broken fastener out of head. Only to find out when I went to rebuild the motor, main saddle was cracked, the crank was ruined, the rods were ruined, but the new cam with about 500 miles on it was still good. I was able to sell that and the associated parts. Sorry to get off topic.