BstC Setup for 3rd gear scaling?

OKTurbo

The instructions that came with my new BstC Boost Controller are pretty weak when it comes to explaining how to setup the 3rd gear scaling (discrete). I haven't installed it yet, but I thought I would see what you guys are doing to set it up.

This is going on my 87 Gn BTW....TA49 w/standard WG actuator...ported elbow w/larger puck... 2 3/4" downpipe...I got the dual WG solenoid setup too.

I understand the TPS trigger. I should be able to set the BstC turn on point by simply watching the scanmaster tps volts and seeing when the BstC light comes on. What is a good tps voltage to try first?

What about the other potentiometer setting on the back. Is it a percent scaleback from the overall knob setting? i.e. If I have the front knob set to give me 19 psi...then the 3rd gear switch comes on...does it scale it back a certain percent based on the pot position? If so what is the "full scale pull back" on the pot?

Is it 0-100 percent scale back? 0-50 percent? All the way counter clockwise is zero and all the way clockwise is ???? Or do I just have to play with it and see what it does.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

I would set the trigger to 1.75 volts or so to make sure control starts early.

As for scaling I don't use it anymore with alky. Set it to scale since it's a more gradual adjustment setback from full boost.

Put it in the middle to start. :)

It is 50% scaleback. So in theory, if you have 20psi in 1-2 and you have the setting at its lowest, 3rd will be 10psi.

Thanks guys...

So BLACK6PACK if the pot adjusts 50% full scale, is all the way counterclockwise (what I would ~think~ to be the lowest setting) the 50% scaleback or is 50% at full clockwise.

I'm basically not clear on which full-lock position on the pot is the zero.

Hopefully I can find time between T-ball games this week and get the thing installed. Can't wait to play with the new toy.

John

I believe clockwise from the back is more boost even with scaling.

Why do you think I said put it in the middle first. :D

What he said!

I turned mine all the way up, and then backed it off slightly, just enough to drop it a pound or two.

When installing, look at the diagram, and the top of the ecm several times, before you start splicing. After you match up the diagram with the actuall wiring, it only takes 1/2 hour to go from start to finish.

Blast from the past!

I needed to resurrect this one.....

I'm a bit down on power on the big end of the track and think that maybe the BstC is pulling too much boost in 3rd. Which direction do I turn the 2nd Trim screw to ELIMINATE scaling (i.e., do not reduce boost) in 3rd? Do I turn it all the way clockwise or counterclockwise?

Thanks,
Jim

turn it clockwise.

The standard scaling of the 3rd gear scale-back is as follows.

The unit attempts to linearize knob position to boost. It works pretty well on most cars, but these cars seem to vary a lot. With the Set 2 adjustment fully clockwise, it doesn't scale the boost in 3rd. with the knob fully counter-clockwise, it will scale the boost back 50% of the base range. Confusing, so here's an example.

base range is the min boost to max boost range, typically about 7 to 8 psi. max boost scaleback is half that. If you have your boost set to 15, and the SET2 set at half, it should drop about 2 lbs. If you set your boost up to 19 psi, the BSTC will try to maintain a 2psi 3rd gear scaleback. It's an approximation, but that's what it's trying to do.

I hope this is clearer. I suck at writing instructions.....

Bob

Originally posted by TurboBob
turn it clockwise.

The standard scaling of the 3rd gear scale-back is as follows.

The unit attempts to linearize knob position to boost. It works pretty well on most cars, but these cars seem to vary a lot. With the Set 2 adjustment fully clockwise, it doesn't scale the boost in 3rd. with the knob fully counter-clockwise, it will scale the boost back 50% of the base range. Confusing, so here's an example.

base range is the min boost to max boost range, typically about 7 to 8 psi. max boost scaleback is half that. If you have your boost set to 15, and the SET2 set at half, it should drop about 2 lbs. If you set your boost up to 19 psi, the BSTC will try to maintain a 2psi 3rd gear scaleback. It's an approximation, but that's what it's trying to do.

I hope this is clearer. I suck at writing instructions.....

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. It's perfectly clear now. It's not that your instructions sucked, I just don't have them anymore. Based upon your explanation, I doubt the 3rd gear scaling is causing my problems but I don't need it anyway so I'll eliminate it.

Thanks agian,
Jim

Utterly amazing! Two days posted and 7 more responses than I got on the same BsTC thread 2 weeks ago. :mad: :rolleyes: Must be nice not to have "stepchild" status. Sorry for the rant, I'll just sit back and try to learn on this thread, since mine went nowhere.

Later,

Would you like some cheese with your WHINE? geesh. Your questions are getting answered, relax. If it was a pressing issue you could've emailed bob or something and I'm sure he'd respond in an appropriate ammount of time, he's always been helpful when I wanted something.

Russ,

Don't sweat it. You're not being ignored.....posts get buried so quick on this board sometimes it seems like no one cares. It might just be the the "right" people never saw it.

John

Originally posted by OKTurbo
Russ,

Don't sweat it. You're not being ignored.....posts get buried so quick on this board sometimes it seems like no one cares. It might just be the the "right" people never saw it.

John

Sure do!! I never even saw this one until this morning. That's the problem with a board so popular. The posts get shuffled down rapidly and can easilly be missed unless one visits the sight several times a day.

Gouda, SMOKED Gouda! and no w[h]ine, I don't drink. ;) <LOL> Apologies for my little tirade, though... I *try* to get on once a day, but working shifts makes it difficult. As I once posted, does a tuning tips sheet exist for the BstC? I e-mailed Mike Licht, but not Bob Bailey, but since Bob's posted on this thread, HOWSABOUT IT, BOB?