Bubbles in overflow tank

V6POWER

When I return from driving the GN I see what appears to be the remains of bubbles in the overflow tank. When I watch the tank with the engine idling, I do not see any bubbling action. The oil looks clean and so does the water in the radiator. Is this an indication of a head gasket going or nothing to be concerned with? I still have the factory head gaskets. Thanks.

I just had the same problem. Now I have the motor out because of a blown head gasket. Be careful.

To check for a blown HG start the engine when it is cold and remove the radiator cap. Let it warm up to the point that the thermostat opens and if you see little bubbles coming get your toolbox out.
Some cars may bubble into the o/f simply from being hot after shut down, but I dont think its normal on a well tuned car with a good cooling system. If your radiator is so so and the fan does not work right then it might just be your cooling system

Thanks guys. Blackbuick87--I will check it tomorrow as you suggested. My car runs cool (170*), radiator is fine and fan works as it should.

If there are only "remains" of bubbles in the overflow, it could simply be that the coolant has been sucked into the radiator, leaving bubbles. This is normal with a hot motor-the radiator expands and more coolant is sucked in from the o/f. When the motor/radiator cools the excess coolant flows back to the reservoir. This is why there is a cold fill line-it should look low when hot. Check if the o/f fills up upon cooling.

I checked for bubbles in the radiator during closed loop and everything appeared normal...no bubbles. I guess the head gasket is OK for now. Thanks for the help.

RMI-25?

Jim,

Do you have any RMI mixed in? I have bubbles in my tank also (for two years :) ), ever since I started mixing the RMI in.

Mike

This happened to me last summer,,problem was a $4.00 radiator cap that was stuck open:eek:

Mike--I do have RMI 25 in the radiator.

Dennis--Radiator cap is new but I will keep that in mind.

I wouldn't worry too much then. I think there are surfactants in the RMI and that results in the "soapy bubbles". Otherwise, take it to a shop with a cooling system pressure tester. They can check the system and the cap for leaks.

Mike