Budget Big Neck IC modification?

OKTurbo

I've been thinking about either putting a Duttweiler big neck on my stock intercooler or possibly upgrading to a stock location stretch.

Has anyone tried just using a 90 degree transitional hose instead of the welded big neck. There a places that sell silicone hoses specifically for turbo applications. I've seen some 90 degree hose elbows that reducers......say from 2" to 2.5"....or 2.5" to 3"...etc.

Couldn't a person just cut off the stock inlet neck like you would for installing a Dutt neck, but instead fit a hose elbow there and get the same effect? The neck part goes from round to "squarish", but with some hose clamps it could fit tightly....maybe some porting on the new inlet to smooth the transition between hose and intercooler.

Surely someone has thought of this before.....

John

Hmmm....

That's a good question. I wonder if anyone has actually done that...or maybe the shape of what would be left of the neck wouldnt allow a clamp to seal properly. Anyone have input on this?

Re: Hmmm....

Originally posted by QWIKTURBO
That's a good question. I wonder if anyone has actually done that...or maybe the shape of what would be left of the neck wouldnt allow a clamp to seal properly. Anyone have input on this?

It wouldn't work due to what was mention above "shape of the neck" would not allow you clamp force as needed. It may work if you weld some type of lip to keep it from slipping off. :confused:

I would also wonder if the hose area (90 degree bend) would be able to sustain the pressure?

Dannyo

Check out current issue of GM High Tech. Red Armstrong did the same thing to his wife's car. Cut off neck and welded plate with lip for 90 degree hose.