Buick 455 in 83 Regal

gchild1853

I have an 83 Regal T-Type that i have been fighting with for the past month... I've tried and tried my hardest to keep this little motor... but its not gonna happen and im not going to waste my time or money on it anymore...

Ive come across a perfectly good running Buick 455 From Carb to Oilpan

Anybody done this swap, any info??? any problems you might see???? Let me know any info is valuable.... stock 200r4 (yes i know its weak) bolt patterns???

From my research, it will fit in the engine bay, and bolt right up to the tranny....

Thanks

i found this website and i think it should be stickied....

Big Block Chevy in a G

every question i had it answered... maybe it will answer others questions too
too bad that has nothing to do with putting a big Buick into a G body..
if it was me- i'd do it the same way i put a TBI 350 out of a 92 Caprice into a 4X4 S10- by making it up as i go.
you might not find headers for a 455 Buick in a G body, but stock manifolds shoudl clear, and 455's make tons of torque down low using stock manifolds, so headers really aren't a big deal.
as for all the hookups (ignition, oil pressure and temp senders, alternator, fuel pump) i'd say they are probably in the same general area as where they are on your V6, so as long as you have an HEI distributor in the 455, everything will hook right up like it was a factory option.

Years ago I put a built Buick 350 in my 81 Regal. Piece of cake, everything matched up well, but the first thing I had to do was upgrade the front springs for the weight change. I think I got springs out of a chevvy pickup for it. Honestly, I couldn't believe how easy a swap that was. And fun to have some real torque in that old slug.

Its not that tough. Your gonna have to watch the headers if you choose to use them. If I remember right the #3 tube hits the steering, and there is one that is really close to the upper a-frame on the right. Frame mounts move up and forward. And I doubt your 200 will last long at all if the tires ever hook up. But they do bolt together. Tranny crossmember is a bit of an issue if you go with true dual exhaust too. No cut for a pipe on the left. If you are wanting a driver.... stock manifolds with a crossover and single going out down the right side like stock. 350" if you can find one running cheap is a basic bolt in without moving the frame pads. Although alot of the little nit-picky things are the same. I did a 83' regal with a 350" in one afternoon alone. Including extending some wires in the factory loom to work. If you pull a NA 6 with air, and drop in a 350" without the air stuff, the springs are still gonna be a bit of an issue but not bad. 455"= heavier. There is a spring to use I just cant remember what it is now(a diesel olds maybe??? not sure). I had fun with mine, enjoyed the 350" more than the 455". Broke too much stuff, and 350"s are cheappppp. Good luck.

I know it...

can be done, had a young man w/a burgandy 83 stop and ask me if I wanted to swap for my suburban. I still needed the sub. at the time so I declined. I believe he had headers on his as well. He didn't like the gas mileage!

I've done the swap. Easy. I have a 82 Regal that I swapped in a 455 with the 200-4R. I used the cast iron frame mounts from a GS455 with the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds and an off the shelf 3" dual exhaust. I have the factory heater only AC delete system and it is very tight on the right side. It should have the same clearance if you are using the full AC HVAC box. I bolted up the tranny first and used it as a reference to drill the holes for the motor mounts so the placement of the block is where it is supposed to be. You'll need to buy an aftermarket intake if you want to use the 200-4R. You need it to run the TV cable linkage. The 455 was only used in front of a THM400 which didn't use a cable linkage. The intake runners are to high on the iron intake. I used the factory Q-jet and welded on the throttle arm from a THM350 equipped Buick 350 and made my own TV cable bracket and linkage. Wired in a vacuum switch for the TCC. It works perfectly. Like it came from the factory that way. I used the electric cooling fans from an Intrepid along with the 3rd gen Camarobird aluminum radiator. The upper radiator hose is from a 77-80 LeSabre with the Buick 350 and the lower hose is a modified 86-87 TR hose. I ditched all of the wiring for the ECM and used a modified 3.8 engine wire harness. All I had to do is lengthen a few wires as the V-6 is just a tad shorter than a V-8 and the starter,distributor and alternator are in the same area between the two motors. I used the accessory mounting brackets off a pre-computer V-6 3.8 Regal too. Yep just like a Chevy the brackets interchange on the Buick motors. I'll see if I can dig up some pics for you.;)

v8buick.com has several "how-to" articles on this conversion. Poston's at one point offered the conversion mounts. the only other tricks are making a new trans crossmember (for dual exhaust) and new front springs would also be a good idea.