Building aluminum 3" eghaust.

85tr

Well I promised myself that when the car got back on the road I would just enjoy it and not worry about how fast it was, well that lasted 2 weeks , had a very small eghaust leak at the cat converter so then i started thinking why I even have a cat anymore or my shatty flow master muffler so now it's all gone. Going the be aluminum from the downpipe back no cat or muff should sound interesting. I really can't stop screwing with this car

Aluminum melts at 1220*F I think you better rethink the DP The rest of it would be awesome

..........Going the be aluminum from the downpipe back no cat or muff should sound interesting. I really can't stop screwing with this car

Aluminum melts at 1220*F I think you better rethink the DP The rest of it would be awesome
I could see the exhaust but the downpipe gets to hot to be made out of aluminum.

Guys, I think the OP means after the downpipe. (That is how I read it. :))
If that is the plan, it "should" work theoretically . . . . since the Bosh WB survives just fine in the DP.

Guys, I think the OP means after the downpipe. (That is how I read it. :))
If that is the plan, it "should" work theoretically . . . . since the Bosh WB survives just fine in the DP.
I took it to mean downpipe and back to tail pipe, could go either way I guess.

I'm still going to be running the old lee Thompson 3"downpipe stainless dp then aluminium eghaust, a good friend ran aluminium after his downpipe for 2 years with no problem so I should be ok. The material is all free so just some argon and rod plus time is all I will be out.

sorry you can use a aluminum downpipe with no problems just needs to be a little thicker

044.jpg

Figure if I can't make a ton of power might as well be as light as possible, that setup looks killer.

ive made a few aluminum DP's for a few turbo cars that run onthe street. never had problems with them.. i currently have a "downpipe back" aluminum exhaust, but you'll def. want to get a muffler in the system. i had to build my muffler cause all the "sold" aluminum mufflers had a nasty drone, and no muffler is almost louder than just downpipe dumped under the car
"

I couldn't even find aluminium mufflers for sale and was hoping that it wouldn't be to loud, have been looking into building my own muffler if I have to. Do you have any pics or explanation of how you built your muffler.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1022_1032_1258
thsy sell aluminum mufflers. but they dont have enough packing or length to make your car quiet....aluminum has a nasty tendancy to ring a bit more than stainless/mild steel

i wish i had taken pics of my muffler. the packing length is closer to 22 inches long and the perforated core is 60% open area versus the 33% vibrant uses which is really important for keeping the sound levels down

Did a half ass job before I figure out the muffler today and just ran without a muff dumping in front of the rear tire , sounds cool for a second but I could not deal with a drive. Next step is building a muffler any tips slimtastic ?

I wouldn't brag about it but I can make things stick together pretty good.