Building aluminum 3" eghaust.

well for some reason i can tfind any pics of the muffler i currently have on my buick or how i bult it. the best i can do at this point is give you links to the materials i used and let you build as you see fit.

the mesh core of the muffler was built out of "oval patterned mesh sheet aluminum" which is only .030 thick but has a open area of about 60 percent.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3737/=ggrha6
part number 944t55 from mcmaster-carr.com

youll need to form this into whatever diameter and core length you want (id recommend as long of a core as possible). weld the folded over ends to make your tube diameter core..

the muffler packing is basicly stainless steel wool with header fiberglass wrap as a backing
http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-wool/=ggrin8

im not going to link header wrap as im sure you know what that is

i took my formed aluminum mesh core and wrapped the steel wool around it as tightly as i could without deforming the aluminum core. after word i wrapped headerwrap around the steel wool and used stainless tie straps to secure everything in place.

the outter muffler casing and end caps can be built to your own taste. genneral out side demensions dont really matter but if you get a big enought outter case then you might as well add more packing in between your core section and the outter casing.

slim, that is awesome, I appreciate you sharing the info and links. I would like to try this on the new race car once I get my TIG, even if just for S&G. Did you build a bullet shaped muffler I assume? I would think either a bullet, or small oval would be good, and not have to fill a huge void with the packing. This is an awesome idea man, I really dig it.

its a bullet style muffler with a decent ammount of packing but it doesnt weigh much over 3 lbs

well here soon im gonna be putting all my stuff up for sale including the aluminum exhaust, as im getting really close to being able to light off the build of my next build destined for turbo.

I ended up buying a vibrant muffler for 89 bucks because I s to lazy to fab my own. It sounds great to me start up and on the throttle but does drone a bit at cruise . I'm fine with that but I'm sure many others would not be.

I ended up buying a vibrant muffler for 89 bucks because I s to lazy to fab my own. It sounds great to me start up and on the throttle but does drone a bit at cruise . I'm fine with that but I'm sure many others would not be.

Does yours go through the muff, then turn down before the rear diff, or did you go out the back?

its a bullet style muffler with a decent ammount of packing but it doesnt weigh much over 3 lbs

well here soon im gonna be putting all my stuff up for sale including the aluminum exhaust, as im getting really close to being able to light off the build of my next build destined for turbo.

3lbs, that is sick!

I like the idea of aluminum exhaust as long as it holds up! If anybody has pictures of any type of aluminum exhaust post em up!