Bump Up Oil Preesure

van460

HOW CAN I INCREASE THIS WITH WHAT I HAVE ON THE CAR? CAN I SHIM THE PUMP SPRING OR DO SOME GRINDING ON THE PUMP TO GET MORE FLOW. THIS WILL HELP IT I FIND MY OTHER PROBLEMS.

Either get a oil pump booster plate. Guys swear by them but that's because they're afraid to install a Melling Hi Volume pump. I've run the HV pump (about $35) for 155,000 miles with no problems but ya' know, that doesn't mean anything. :rolleyes:

Probably the cheapest way to increase your oil pressure would be to use a heavier weight oil in your engine. Another way would be to install a HV oil pump. However, this is a highly debated subject because the oil pump puts extra strain on the cam sensor shaft and has been rumered to break them. If you want to chance it, go with the HV pump. The tried and true way to go, IMO is to get a Kenny Bell booster plate. This is a very nice piece of work and only cost me $26. I personaly saw an increase of 7psi (16-23psi @ idle). The only drawback to this plate is that you must machine out a new channel in your oil pump ( a drimel dril works fine).

BOOSTD

New thrust plate from Autozone or ADVANCE AUTO. Very similar to the Kenne Bell plate for less $$$ Gain 5-8 lbs. of oil psi. I think they run $12-$15??? This is what i use on both HV and standard front covers. A biggie oil filter helps oil psi too. Frank:cool:

never had thrust plate off can i do without taking front cover off? does booster plate work the same way? never had this thing apart so help me out.

autozone

Does the thrust plate from Autozone require that you machine the oil pump like the Kenne Bell one??

Thanks,

Ravi

On an older engine if you are running synthetic 3 quarts of 10w30 and 2.3 quarts of 15w50 will put it back on the map if it's low. On my GM 3.1 V6 daily the oil pressure was at 20 psi at idle hot and about 40 at cruise hot, oil temp at about 185 deg f. When I switched to the above mix, (I run 50-50 the car has 190,000 miles on it) the oil pressure is about 60 cruising and about 45 at idle with the oil temp around 185 deg f. (I have an oil temp gauge). You definetly need an oil pressure gauge on your car because if you run too much of the thicker oil your pressure could be too high. This was something I tried out about 3 years ago and has worked well so far.

WHY? more pressure less volume.10lbs per 1000rpm if you have that leave it alone.!if its a full time race car thats differant.

Yes you can do the thrust plate without removal of the cover and there is zero machining required. The plate comes with a groove already machined in it. The thrust plate works the same way the KB booster does, i think one actually copied from the other???:eek: Frank