bumper fillers turning white

jdmjim

anyone have any advice on the bumper fillers hazing over overnight, i can wax and polish them and in the morning there hazy and after a week their white, a wipe of a rag and they look good again but its anooying thanks TB:cool:

Your bumpers fillers hazing up are a sign that the material they are made of is starting to break down. I would look into replacements because one these days when your cleaning them they will fall apart!

Old age is taking it's toll. One of the biggest dilemmas facing the modern day tb guy.

OEM replacements are hard to find and will cost you an arm and a leg. Next best thing IMO is fiberglass.

What style is the best replacement? I see they have fiberglass and plastic.

This reminds me of the old Cadillacs. Everyone I see now is lacking the rear fillers.

anyone have any advice on the bumper fillers hazing over overnight, i can wax and polish them and in the morning there hazy and after a week their white, a wipe of a rag and they look good again but its anooying thanks TB:cool:

EXACTLY what mine are doing. I just took mine off to repaint them, They don't seem like they are close to cracking. They are still very flexible and over-all seem pretty healthy, It just seems like the paint is dying.

EXACTLY what mine are doing. I just took mine off to repaint them, They don't seem like they are close to cracking. They are still very flexible and over-all seem pretty healthy, It just seems like the paint is dying.

Mine have remained flexible also and the paint on them seems perfect. It's a strange phenomena. I thought it was exhaust fumes, but I guess not.

:)Just had mine redone this spring. Was ready to replace them but my painter suggested just a strip and repaint so that is what we did. This was on a car that was garaged it's whole life with only 32K miles on it. The fillers were still very flexible like new. Came out perfect and no more hazing.

:)Just had mine redone this spring. Was ready to replace them but my painter suggested just a strip and repaint so that is what we did. This was on a car that was garaged it's whole life with only 32K miles on it. The fillers were still very flexible like new. Came out perfect and no more hazing.

I wanted to do that with mine Mark but I didnt want to waste money or time with the paint shop and then they would get more brittle and break down the road. Let us know how long yours holds up.

Well, I trust my body guy as he has been working on Turbo Regals for years, he is a member of the board too. 7 months later so far so good. Nice not having to wax the fillers every time I take the car out.:smile:

my experience

removed the fillers, painter stripped them , painted them, reinstalled them.
car was driven 3 times last yr, sits in the garage, covered, they now are cracking, and brittle,
I won't waste my time with OEM or replacement plastic, I will ONLY use fiberglass.
I have them on another one of my cars, 99% of the people cannot tell they are fiberglass.

Another consideration though is when you are even in a minor accident, the OEM Fillers will distort but FG ones may push into the body and cause further damage.

that........

would be the least of my concerns!

I drive my hot rods like an old man, ( DARN, I AM AN OLD MAN !!!!!!!)

would be the least of my concerns!

I drive my hot rods like an old man, ( DARN, I AM AN OLD MAN !!!!!!!)

For those that do drive a lot though, it's hard to avoid being rear ended just by driving a certain way. I still want my car to perform as it was intended to and avoid additional damage if possible. To each their own but obviously how the car is used, just like most other mods to these cars, needs to be taken into consideration. FG fillers LOOK good if that's all that matters. Fwiw, I don't think anybody truly makes a functional and good looking rear filler, yet. Hopefuly the Richard Clark ones are good and come soon. The market is there and front NOS fillers are available reasonable @ nos4gn.com

Agree 100%

your bumpers fillers hazing up are a sign that the material they are made of is starting to break down. I would look into replacements because one these days when your cleaning them they will fall apart!

agree wih herb, sorry but they are in their way out.. Mine were the same way,removed them,although still soft, started sanding, they cracked, and tried to repair crack, and was chasing it..it kept spreading.. I was not happy, i stripped and painted a few cars,encouraged friends to replace them...hey best of luck with yours...

thanks everyone, yea it cracked on me by the drain hole . the fiberglass looks like a good option. kinda sucks for a car thats spent it's whole life in the garage :(

Old age is taking it's toll. One of the biggest dilemmas facing the modern day tb guy.

That's the problem I'm having with my body! And I don't mean the Grand National. :rolleyes: Wish they had a pill to make me 21 again.:rolleyes::tongue:

Bruce '87 Grand National