Burning oil

Shaun Garcia

Just recently purchased my 87 t type. I noticed that I'm getting some smoke out of the exhaust and that its oil. My oil pressure is great and my compression test came out good as well so I've ruled out bearings. I also changed the pcv valve and it's still doing it. I believe it could be the turbo seals due to the face that it's burning so much oil and I get a lot of turbo surge. I haven't checked it yet but I wanted to see What do you guys thought.

Shawn--my suggestion would be to check the turbo impeller end play--if it is the least bit loose--time for a visit to bison for a turbo rebuild or upgrade. If you have no movement at the impeller--suggest digging further with a cylinder leak down test to see how your rings are sealing. Compression may be showing normal but the rings could cause excessive oil burning under boost. The easiest and most quickest to replace would be the valve stem seals but I would ck all the plugs first for wetness. Bearings have nothing to do with oil burning/consumption. Let us know how you fair. Dp