Buying A Car On E-bay? Read This First!!! * Sticky *

I will move this to cars for sale and we will make a sticky. Excellent advice. :cool:

EVERYBODY READ THIS!!!!! EVERYBODY!

I have had these losers stealing my pictures and trying to sell my cars using other innocent sellers' IDs for months, and ebay won't do anything about it! I've written ebay at least a half dozen times complaining, and I never get a reply of any kind. I wish I would've thought about this idea, but I'm just glad someone did.

The only part I asked the person who did this to consider amending is the part about the car's history....sometimes I buy cars at auctions that are far from home, and sometimes I don't get a lot of history on the car, so those items in and of themselves should not preclude someone from buying a car. However, I adhere to all of the other items he referred to and believe just a little due diligence on the buyer's part will go a long way to making these scams DOA.

E-bay and Auto Transfer Companies

GREAT Advice!

This is long but it will be worth it!! (Trust me)
Here is some additional advice based on actual experience!

The 84 GN was purchased “Buy it now” of E-bay and it was not really what was represented. (The arguments could be that I did not specifically ask the following; “Does the car sputter?”, “Does the water pump leak?”, “What condition is the motor in?”

Now we are pulling the engine after we replaced water pump, AC pump, Blower motor, brake system, wiper spray motor, heat control unit, valve cover gaskets, etc.
Obviously we are not happy about it.

While the dealer has 98% positive feedback, the dealer will tend to delay the shipment, but record the sale at the time of “Pay it now receipt”. The reason?

Simple, 30 day lemon law!
So, the paperwork was signed as "sold 9/2/04" and the car was received 9/28/04. (with LOTS of babysitting and Bit***n)

Now, the state of TX list the car sold at 9/2/04 and does not care when it was actually received. After 30 days any car needs to be registered or you start to incur penalties.
By the way, this is an emission state, so that has to be completed with a passing grade prior to registration. (So we has one week!)

Now for the transfer of your car.
This issue was registered with the BBB in Phoenix and with E-bay, and, AAAdvantage auto send a letter back to the BBB questioning the integrity of my calls (I have phone records to prove each call made) You may read on and make your own decisions.

COMPANY OR ORGANIZATION INFORMATION:
A AAADVANTAGE AUTO TRANSPORT
8920 S. Hardy Drive
Tempe, AZ United States 85284
(480)753-9000
carmoves.com

COMPLAINT INFORMATION:
Complaint #: 1673731
Complaint Type: General Complaint (not a car maker)
Date Received: 10/4/2004
Primary Complaint Classification: Advertising Issues
Secondary Complaint Classification: Selling Practices

Complaint:

Introduction
After the search for a transporter for the move of a highly collectable classic automobile, the writers decision to use A AAAdvantage Auto Transport, Inc. was based on the verbal information from the sales person and from website information. While price is always an issue, the decision for this move was NOT based on price.

Facts about the move
http://www.carmoves.com/

The writer called and established contact with TJ Kiew (tjkwiej@carmoves.com) and was told the following on 9/2/04;

1. "Be careful, other transporters are mere brokers and do not own their fleet. We have our own fleet of trucks".
2. "Our trucks have satellite tracking and you can see on-line where your vehicle is at all times". (Listed on website)
3. "Your car will be loaded one time and unloaded one time, therefore minimizing the chance of damage".
4. "Our insurance covers your vehicle with a "zero" deductible, up the cost of replacement up to $1M"

Experience and findings

1. It was determined through insider information that AAAAdvantage auto does not own a fleet and is a broker. The writer's car move was subcontracted without knowledge or approval on a trailer
2. The subcontractor's vehicle broke down, and, A AAAdvantage Auto Transport, Inc., did not know where the vehicle was located at.
3. The insurance covers the vehicle "on their trucks" and no vehicle is therefore covered. The coverage is with the subcontractor, however, since no contract was signed with this subcontractor, the A AAAdvantage Auto Transport, Inc. insurance doers not apply!!
4. A few calls with the Customer service department requesting the location of the vehicle, and the reasons why I was not notified the move was subcontracted yielded the typical "run around". No explanation was given.
5. A call and voice message left for the GM to rectify the issues were never returned.

Conclusion
While this company may be listed as "the best in the business", the false advertising and statements that were made do not warrant any business integrity.

This company is nothing more than the "Cream of the Crap" in an industry that has many opportunities to the right manager and business owner.

While the reader will un-doubtfully make their own decisions, the writer will ensure that the issues of misleading information, false advertising, and, poor service are reported in a way that is consistent with the facts and in a legally binding manner.

Online chat history;
GNgirl:
Hi there. A few questions ... I know the driver will call me but wanted to let you kow that I will not accept the car when it is dark. I will need to review the car for possible damage. Is this a problem?

Agent (Sandy):
NOT UNLESS HE ARRIVES AT NIGHT. LET ME CHECK YOUR ORDER.

Agent (Sandy):
IF YOU DON'T ACCEPT THE VEHICLE HE WILL HAVE TO TAKE IT TO A NEAR BY TERMINAL...

Agent (Sandy):
AND THEY WILL CHARGE YOU TO RE-DELIVER...

Agent (Sandy):
HOWEVER, YOU DO HAVE 15 DAYS TO FILE A CLAIM...

Agent (Sandy):
IF YOU FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH YOUR VEHICLE.

GNgirl: I have heard HORROR stories about this calssic and ANYTIME a car takes a bit longer and no one knows (although you have satelite tracking), I get a bit concerned as you can understand

GNgirl:
Any idea why the move was subcontracted? Thought that your company'e ability to transfer due to your fleet WAS one of your strenghths (??)

Agent (Sandy):
WE ONLY HAVE SATELITE TRACKING ON OUR COMPANY VEHICLES.

Agent (Sandy):
NOT ON SUB CARRIERS

Agent (Sandy):
IF WE CAN'T SCHEDULE OUR COMPANY TRUCK QUICKLY ENOUGH...

Agent (Sandy):
WE DISPATCH OUT TO OVER 300 SUBCARRIERS WE USE ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Agent (Sandy):
YOU WOULD NEED TO CONTACT YOUR SALES REP FOR THAT.

Agent (Sandy):
YOU NEED TO CALL THEM. 1-800-233-4875

Agent (Sandy):
MAY I ASSIST YOU WITH ANYTHING ELSE, TODAY?

Earlier this year, I bought a car from a member of this board. The transaction was butter smooth, and the car is everything Larry said it was, and more.

Since I lived in SoCal at the time, I had to arrange for shipping from Texas. I checked several carriers, and got the major runaround that gngirl spoke about- doubletalk about company owned vs sub-contractors; doubletalk about delivery dates; doubletalk about claims- I think you get the picture.

I decided to fly to Amarillo, and drive the car back. Had a great trip, and saved over $600 in the process.

Yeah, not quite eBay, but all the same, a very good tie-in topic.

E-BAY CANCELLED YOUR THREAD!!! WHY, BECAUSE THEY SUCK!!!!
THEY ARE ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY, THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT ANYONE GETTING RIPPED OFF BY THE CRIMINALS OUT THERE!!
ALL DAY LONG THERE ARE LOW LIFES SELLING CARS AND PARTS THAT DONT EXIST, USING FALSE NAMES, AND NOT TO MENTION SELLING CRAP AND OFFERING GOLD!!! IVE MADE NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS, AND YET NEVER GET ANY RESPONSE!!! AND FOR SOME REASON, THEY NEVER CATCH THEM, BUT WHEN PEOPLE TRY TO MAKE THE PUBLIC AWARE OF WHATS GOING ON IN THEIR WEBSITE, (WOW,LIGHTNING SPEED,THE THREAD IS CANCELLED)

BE REAL CAREFULL OUT THERE WHEN YOU BUY ON THAT SITE, GET INFO, PHONE NUMBERS, AND ANY OTHER INFO YOU CAN GET BEFORE YOU BUY SOMETHING!!!!

JUST WHEN THEY COULDNT GET ANY WORSE, THEY ARE GOING TO RAISE ALL OF THEIR FEE'S!!! MOST OF THEM BY 50% IN FEBRUARY. :mad:

Some additional text on this post

This auction is for a SHOE BOX -
SILVER - NO SHOES -
ARE YOU SICK OF SCAMMERS ON EBAY?
TIRED OF SELLERS TRYING TO SELL FAKE CARS AND SCREW PEOPLE OVER?

WELL SO AM I!
THIS IS AN INFORMATIVE AUCTION FOR THE EBAY COMMUNITY AND CAR LOVERS EVERYWHERE -
HIGHLIGHTING WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR IF BUYING A CAR ON EBAY!
BEWARE OF THE SCAMS!

*** I am going to continuously run this auction as long as the ebay community supports it, and until these scammers move onto something else!

HOW TO TELL THE CAR YOU ARE LOOKING AT IS A SCAM!

1. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

Where is the seller from? Is it listed as WORLDWIDE or EMAIL ME or CALL TO BUY IT NOW? Chances are, if the buyer is scared to tell you the location of the car, they don't own it!
ALSO be leary of people selling cars like SUPRAs and NSXs and RX7s that are overseas (excluding the UK).
Honestly, how many Supras do you think were imported to Uganda in 1995? 1 of 1? wow, what are the odds.

2. BUY IT NOW - $7000

The old saying "too good to be true" definitely holds up here.
Have you seen auctions for a 1997 6 spd Supra TT that have a BUY NOW PRICE of $7000? Well, the car's worth at least $35000.
A car has NEVER sold publicly for 20% of its retail value.
These scammers want you to BUY THE CAR NOW for an insane low price... don't be fooled. USE YOUR HEAD! This is ebay - a car will sell for what it's worth!

3. EMAIL ME - CALL ME - but for the love of God, just DONT BID!

Uhm, ok. I have a car on ebay. But i don't want you to bid.
Have you seen the auctions that say "CALL ME! DONT BID" -
yeah, that makes sense. I spent 40 bucks to list my car but i dont want anyone to bid and see how much i can get for it.
These scamming idiots often STEAL USER IDs and want to close a deal OUTSIDE EBAY for a stupid low price.
DONT BID ON THE ITEM! CALL ME and buy it now for $8500.
Anyone saying DONT BID is gonna take your money and run!
In addition, run a check to see where the number is from...
Check the area code... does it line up with where this car is, quote, LOCATED? If the number is 555-BEN-DOVR then you should probably steer clear.

4. DEPOSIT it RIGHT HERE

ALL sellers need a deposit while a buyer figures out travel, shipping or financing.
HOWEVER if you see the auctions saying DONT BID, just send a $2000 deposit to Alan Anonymous in Whateverville Egypt - they will take the deposit and leave you with your (insert joke here) in your hand.
DONT be scared of a deposit, if you know the car is legit.
Just be worried if the seller is all about DEPOSIT DEPOSIT DEPOSIT.
Where is the deposit going? To some guy in Madagascar?
Hmm, yeah. I dont think he's got a z06 corvette in his hut.

5. Did i mention i know NOTHING about my car?

These scams often involve cars that DO exist (in fact, the all usually do) and the pictures are legit pictures. Hell, the ad is even word for word from the owner's mouth (probably on a personal webpage)... but contact the "seller" and ask any technical questions about the vehicle... and see what happens.
Ask something that only an RX-7 owner would know... and watch them get off the phone quicker than me when they call for jury duty.

6. I'll ship my car WORLDWIDE!

Are you serious? Do you think anyone with a mint 2000 Viper is going to want to ship their car to Argentina?
BETTER YET, as a seller, would you have any idea of HOW TO GO ABOUT shipping your car 8000 miles?
Neither would I.

SO, damn it. I'm worried. How can i protect myself?
Good question!

Here's a list of things you can look for and DO to make sure
the car, and the seller are both legit.

1. Where is the car, and buyer located?

The location better be VERY OBVIOUS on the ad.
The phone number should match up with the same "location" listed.
MANY of these scammers are from overseas, and, lets face it - they are good at it.
Another reason is you send a deposit to Nigeria, you get screwed... do you think you'll ever be able to track that person down.
Ahhh - NO.

NOTE: Many little punk turds here in the US are trying to pull this off now... but - most of them suck at it and aren't aware that
Bruno and Jimmy the Ass-Kicker are about to show up on their doorstep.
If you are in the USA trying to pull this off - your day is coming... i'd quit - you don't want to screw the "WRONG PERSON" out of $1000s of dollars - because you might piss off the wrong Psychopath with nothing else to do.

2. Run the carfax to verify the location

The VIN listed (if its legit it BETTER BE) is worth alot!
See the owner locations on the car fax... is the most recent owner from the correct area (as listed on ebay?) If so, thats step one.
Make sure the "sellers" phone number is from the same area.
If that checks out, go to step 3 :)

3. HISTORY ON THE CAR

Any good seller can give you some service records of the vehicle for sale.
IF ANYTHING they should tell you the dealership where it was purchased and where its been getting maintenance done.
Get that phone number. Call the dealership to verify this car has been in there.
So far so good? Then politely ask if "Mr. Legit-Seller" is the owner and has he been the one bringing the car in. If so, looks good so far and this guy probably owns the car.

4. SEND ME MORE PICTURES

So i like the pics on ebay. You might have stole them from "Jimmy Innocent-3rd-Party"s website. Any REAL SELLER will gladly go snap some more photos.
THIS TIME get at least one photo with something special written on a piece of paper...
"Send me a photo of the front of the car, with a piece of paper with the words 'Homer Simpson Loves Milhouse' written on it."
ANY REAL SELLER will gladly oblige and be happy to be selling to a motivated and cautious buyer.

5. Let me call you. JUST TO TALK ABOUT IT.

If i'm a seller, i'd expect that.
Lets talk about the car. I want to know more.
I want to actually quiz you to make sure you know what you are selling... and to see if you actually own the car.
NO SELLER would take offense to being cautious.

6. Got any references?

Most people who have the computer sense to list their car on ebay, and have a car that is unique (supra, z06, nsx, rx-7, etc) usally have friends with similar cars, OR are on some online car club.
For example www.SupraForums.com
I can give a reference for myself, to that site.
Many people know me who own Supras.
Many people have seen my cars. Done deal. That simple.
(the ebay ad listed below is an example... the car listed below is 100% legit - the seller is well known on the Supra Forum website by many other owners). So there ya go.

7. COME SEE THE CAR

Any seller that urges you to "come see the car in person if you are in the area" is a good seller.
I'd want the buyer to come see it - because when he does, he will want it.
NOT in the area? Know someone who is? Send them!
Send a relative! Hell, send someone that you only know from a chat room - but get someone in front of it to see its really there.
Sellers are happy to accommodate!
8. TELL ME SOMETHING ONLY THE OWNER WOULD KNOW

This is a toughie. But anyone crazy about their car, can tell you stuff that only an owner of a such car would know...
Ask a Supra or NSX owner... they have tons of little "tid bits" of info on their cars. If the seller can talk the car up (and most owners can) its a good sign they are legit (oh yeah, ask for that customized picture too).

9. a DEPOSIT is OK

Deposit is ok and normal. But if its the topic of the conversation, or email or ebay ad - and its the ONLY thing that keeps coming up OVER AND OVER AND OVER - don't send the money!
They are just screwing people over and over and over...

10. Modification list - not good enough. i need more!

So you have the mods listed? cool? anyone can find a list of stuff.
TELL ME WHERE YOU BOUGHT THEM!
I'd venture a guess and say that, oh, probably 100% of the people that modify their cars can recall where they purchase the performance parts.
And ya know what. About 99% of these scam cars on ebay are modified (making them attractive).
So, where'd you buy the parts?
WHO do you talk to there? (yeah, call the performance shop and make sure these parts came from there...)
and Got a receipt?
Pretty much anyone who drops $10000 in mods will have receipts just in case their HKS Twin Turbos go "caput" in a week.

OH YEAH, they WONT be selling a $30000 car with $1000 in mods for $5500, a wheel of cheese and a bag of ink pens.
BE SMART!

HERE IS A 100% LEGIT SUPRA FOR SALE!
FROM A REAL SELLER!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2484431044&category=6447

READ THIS AUCTION! STUDY IT!
IF YOUR CAR DOESN'T APPEAR LIKE THIS, THEN START ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS!
FROM THIS AD YOU CAN:

See the car's location - Kansas City MO

See the license plate? Missouri - so far so good.

See the phone number at the bottom?
Area code 816 - got a clue where that is? Missouri.

Call the seller. Ask where the parts came from.
Did you buy them? What shop? Who sold them to you?

Do you see a stupid buy now price listed? NOPE.
This is ebay dag-nabbit!
The car will sell for its current market value!
The buyers of the world will determine the value - and its not $8000. or $9000.
or even $20000.

CALL ME to talk about the car.
WOW! NOT, call me DONT BID or call me SEND DEPOSIT.
Call me, ask anything you need!

Here's 50 million photos - want more?
WOW again. Seller can take any photo of any angle you want.
I can write "Pink Elephant" on a Post-it note for you too.

VIN - run it
Run the vin. Where does it show the last seller is from?

References?
Why yes. This seller is active on SupraForums.com
Many people know him. Many have seen the car.

CAN I SEE IT?
Well hell yeah you can - come on by if you are serious!
Not in the area? Send someone. Heck, Someone on
SupraForums will run by there - theres plenty of owners in the
KC area.

Where'd you get the car and who services it?
Once again, ask for service records. OR, at least give me the name of the dealership that changes the oil and maintains is.
Whats their phone number? Who is the contact there?
Does it all add up? i'm sure it does :)

IN SUMMARY:

Its actually really simple everyone.
USE COMMON SENSE!

1. Is the car being offered for sale for WAY TOO CHEAP?

Yes there are good deals but come on!
It wouldn't be on ebay if the owner of a
1997 GTS Viper would settle for $11000!
(i would have bought it)

2. Is the "seller's" location provided and does it all add up?

Do they list their location? Where is it? USA i hope.
If not, you have 2 options... research more or
Pull a Jesse Owens and run the other way.
Make sure it all seems "right". Where does the carfax say the owner is? What area code is the phone number?

3. HISTORY IS IMPORTANT

Where has the car been? Who serviced it?
Call them. Talk to them.

4. GO SEE THE CAR and GET REFERENCES

5. ASK for DETAILED and "customized" photos (at least 1)

6. TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW.
Talk about the mods and where they came from and
what they do.

7. LET ME CALL - to talk about it.
I want to call to talk about the car - not about a deposit!

I WILL CONTINUOUSLY LIST THIS ON EBAY
as long as the ebay community supports it and
as long as ebay realizes this ONLY HELPS rid the site
of idiot scammers!

Have common sense and be careful people!

A car worth $40,000 wont be listed for $12000 buy now - call me!

I mean, Mother Father - let's be smart here!

THANKS EVERYONE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Cheers all
Tim
Bigglezworth@shaw.ca

TIM, YOU KNOW WHAT THE SADDEST PART IS, E-BAY KNOW'S EXACTLY WHAT'S GOING ON AND DOES NOTHING WHAT SO EVER ABOUT IT!!! BUT I'LL TELL YOU, THEY ACT VERY QUICKLY TO CANCEL THE LISTING'S OF PEOPLE TRYING TO WARN OTHER PEOPLE OF THE SCAM'S GOING ON, OR SUSPEND YOUR ACCOUNT WHEN THEY DIDNT GET THEIR $2.25 IN FEE'S!!!!!! THIS IS ONE DOT COM COMPANY I WOULD LIKE TO SEE DOT GONE!!!!!! :mad: