CAI...........New idea

Kevin, the idea itself isn't bad, but there's already something similar to that for our cars. The best kits have the air filter placed under the car (behind the front bumper, usually on the driver's side) where it's most likely to pick up cooler air than if placed under the hood.

Claude. ;)

Claude
The difference I see in the new cars is the pipe to the intake is very short and bends are gradual. The problem with the behind the bumper set up is all the bends I was thinking. All the new stuff uses this system and I was just curious to see if anyone else had any input

Sorry not a believer in CAI. Gus mentioned the HC There is a thread over there where they say they are losing horsepower with a CAI. a factory air box with a drop in filter is what was recommended.

lol......and those new "cool guy" kits for the HC ain't cheap! My buddy paid over $500 for his -18hp CAI kit.

Guess he thinks the thing makes so much power, he needs to remove some :ROFLMAO:

Colder air can possible help us since we like to run on the ragged edge of knock. Having the ability to raise cylinder pressure means colder air might allow for most boost and hopefully more power.

On a N/A setup, colder air when you're already cold enough most likely won't help. other than lowering MPGs and wintertime manners that is.

Last edited:
If you have a 4 inch induction pipe going to your turbo inlet, and you have a few bends in it and adapters to locate the filter outside the engine compartment, there isn't going to be any restriction.

None.

No need for a cold air box.

I've back to backed this and found no difference unless a restriction was eliminated or reduced. What I did find is that the Intercooler being heat soaked had the most negative effect. The cooler the Intercooler is at the beginning of the hit the more power they make. Putting cold air induction on newer cars without re-flashing and other modifications usually causes drivability issues and less power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've back to backed this and found no difference unless a restriction was eliminated or reduced. What I did find is that the Intercooler being heat soaked had the most negative effect. The cooler the Intercooler is at the beginning of the hit the more power they make. Putting cold air induction on newer cars without re-flashing and other modifications usually causes drivability issues and less power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I'll assume I can toss my CAI thats mounted under the car and a PITA to get to and mount the big K&N to the MAF? If thats what your saying then I'm all for that.

Just remember, we are all still under warranty. That is why things are high priced right now. In 5 years, you will see a multitude of 8 and 9 sec cats.

So I'll assume I can toss my CAI thats mounted under the car and a PITA to get to and mount the big K&N to the MAF? If thats what your saying then I'm all for that.
Yep, pretty much nothing at all.

But even though I know that placing my air filters outside the engine compartment does close to absolutely nothing, for some reason it just feels better with them there anyway. I don't know, call it common practice, superstition, jut covering my bases, or whatever.

For most of us, it's simple enough to do. For me, even more so. With forward facing turbos and without a MAF sensor, I don't have to worry about disrupting air flow to the sensor or strange curves or obstructions.

So, to sum it up. If it's a pain in the ass, don't bother. Its not really going to make you go any faster. Or at least no gains that make it worth even the slightest inconvenience.