Calling Jim Testa.....

victa1

My TR has the following...
Ported iron heads, 206/206 cam, TA60, V4, Houston DP, 009s,
ATR 2 1/2" exhaust, Mark H cold air.
I specifically went for the ported heads so I could run low boost on 94 octane. The engine is a new Jack Merkel build up, and runs like a bear. But, to get 16-17 pounds of max boost, I have to turn my wastegate rod waayyy down, and the spool up time is pathetic. With the old engine and stock heads, (everything else
the same) the rod was about 6 turns shorter for 17 pounds max, and part throttle response was much better. With the new engine, if I set the rod where throttle response is crisp and immediate, on full throttle boost shoots up to over 20 pounds.
I assume this is due to the better flow of the new heads, but how can I get the immediate spool up I used to have and not go over
17 pounds?

Paul from Whippany

Paul,

Did you ask Ron his thoughts? Assuming he did the R&R, of course I dont know that for sure. I only say that as Jack shares space with Ron and maybe they too would have some ideas.

Best of luck, keep us posted. Sure Jim will post back he's always on here.

That was a while ago!

It's all worked out now. Testa reburned my chip for less boost.
Of course, I had to try the car on 100 octane, could not go back, SMC alky kit waiting to be installed. When the warmer weather hit, I could not get ENOUGH boost, I think my wastegate solenoid is dead. I have been expermenting with ways to bleed the boost signal away from the wastegate diaphram (sp?). I am currently getting pretty solid 20-21 psi from a , hey it works, ball point top secured to the boost line. I should get one of those grainger deals, but for now it's ok.

As for anyone wondering about a Jack Merkel engine, mine has almost 7K on it in 6 months. So far, so good. I have not abused it, but have not babyed it either.

I am currently running the Merkel engine on 20 psi, TA60, 55 injectors, THDP, Mark H cold air, ATR 2 1/2 exhaust, dump pipe,
basic Translator with LT1 MAF.

Many quick bursts to 130+ while playing with the many Corvettes, Camaros, and Mustangs. A few fun encounters with a Ferrari 360, a 355, quite a few late model Porsche 911s, BMW M3 and an M5,
and MANY Audis. I always just following behind and keep up, and will NOT go above 125-130. The car can do it easy, but it gets too hairy for me, except for this one '96-98 911, I just walked right on by him at 120+. This car is simply not designed for very high speeds.

My brother has a '86 Porsche 928, a mid 14s car at 95, but feels like a slug compared to the Regal. But the whole car is so much more solid feeling, my Buick could still beat it to 150, but I would not want to do it.

victa1

Dude... thats nuts to be goin that fast on the highway with your GN! The only time my car sees 120+ is thru the traps.

That's not too crazy, going that fast. I used to set the cruise at 130 on the Northway in Upstate NY after work at like 3am. It was all cool, there was no one on the road, but if a deer came out, it would all be over.

Yes, it would be crazy if I was doing 130 for any lenth of time. The 130 I was talking about was done on a straight road with at least a mile of no traffic ahead, and, I would back right down.

Of course a GN has no business going 130, but just for a quick burst and then right back down.......