Cam Sensor and a glowing manifold

Buick Beginner

Where is my $$$ going?
Good Day to All,
Well I put my motor back in the car and fired it up yesterday. After a few tries she ignited and I waited about 10 seconds before taking it up to 2000 RPM's for 30 minutes. (Cam break in proceedures). The cam is a Postons GT107, it's about a 202/202 cam, pretty mild. About 10 minutes into the break-in my buddy notices that my drivers side header is glowing orange. Not enough to light up a dark room, but definately glowing. The passenger side looks fine. We went ahead and shut it down, let it cool for about 5 minutes, then re-started it and ran it back up to 2000 RPM again, so the cam break in took about 45 minutes because of shutting it down to cool and starting it back up. I'm trying to pinpoint the problem, I don't think it's normal to have a glowing manifold at 2000 RPMs. Now, with that being said, does anyone think the cam sensor could tie into this? I personally don't like the instructions on the cam sensor installation, so I'm not 100 percent sure it's right. The car runs smooth, in fact I would have thought I got everything right if it were'nt for the manifold. ( Well, my oil pressure is too low, but I don't think that's related, I'm working on that issue as well). BTW, at idle the glowing goes away. Just for everyones info. the pistons, rings, bearings, etc. are all new. Does anyone have anything to offer? I've been told that the cam sensor times the injectors, how would you know if the cam sensor was off a degree or two? Thanks - BB

What procedure did you use to set the cam sensor? and is it possible that you crossed a plug wire?

I just dropped my motor back in the car after the Rebuild,And I noticed the exact same thing your talking about...Just the drivers side header glowing....But I was between 2000 and 3000 RPM's and it was glowing pretty good....The drivers side was not glowing at all....

I really didnt pay much attention to it,But I will be Keeping an eye on this thread,To see if anyone is under the opinion that there could be some sort of problem...

Thanks,Shawn

Left bank running lean?I've had some NA engines do that,no fuel injected turbos though.

Well

I double checked my wires, they're good to go. The cam sensor method I used was No. 1 to TDC then move the balancer to 1.45" past TDC. Then put the sensor "window" as close to the No. 1 cylinder as you can. Put the cap back on, then rotate the sensor clockwise looking for the "Zero voltage" window. Once you go past the window, stop. Then slowly rotate back until voltage drops. Tighten at that point. I suppose I understand the concept but I just wonder what would happen if you bump it slightly. - BB:confused:

Tom,are you back in town?If so drop me a line if you need ahand.FWIW I have a cam sensor tool if you need it.

BB, you should go to the 'other' board (add an s to the end of turbobuick..if you know what I mean) and search for "cam sensor and timing Q" and read about how the cam sensor really works.

Hope this helps.

Nick

OK totally diferent car but a little similar problem....

I had a 85 TPI camaro. I had been working on it and after it was running I took it for a drive. It ran like crap so I pulled over at a gas station and pop the hood. My damn exhaust manifolds where so hot they almost looked transparent!!! Plug wires 4" away caught on fire!! I go to the pay phone and call my dad after about 10 minutes he says he's seen goofy stuff caused from timing that was retarded to much..... DING DONG ... the vision of droping a bolt and having to turn my distributor was there but no vision of turning the distributor back. So thats what it was it was caused by timing retarded so much that fuel was burning in the exhaust manifold instead of in the cylinder.

Why you only got it on one side makes it much harder to figure out whats messing you up.

HTH: Jason

OK

Hey There Lee - I'm still out of town, I'm contemplating whether or not to drive the car back this Friday or tow it.

Nick - Thanks for the Tip

Jason - Thanks also.

For some reason I keep wanting to think the cam sensor may have something to do with it. This has been very interesting indeed.

- BB

My ds header glowed as well during cam breakin btw 2000-2500 rpm. I noticed my fuel pressure was low, cranked up the press. to what it should have been and the glow went away. It must have been too lean. Not a problem, check your fuel press.

paul

Turn up the fuel

Make sure your cam sensor is set correctly, but you will still get the lean glow. I always turn up the fuel pressure for cam break in, your chip is lean at that RPM vs TPS etc. and has a lot of timing most likely. Add 5 lbs and see if it stops the glow if not add a little more, don't get crazy but it will cool the temps. Good luck Dave

Thanks Guys

But this brings up another good question, if we have a lean condition, why only one manifold? Why not both? - :confused:

Confirming Cam Sensor

Also while I've got the floor concerning cam sensor adjustment, just confirming the mark on the BALANCER is marked on the LEFT side of the "0" degree mark, (notch). So if you look at the balancer from above the TDC "0" mark on the balancer (notch) is off the scale to the right of the plastic timing degree marks. Correct? - :confused:

Re: Thanks Guys

Originally posted by Buick Beginner
But this brings up another good question, if we have a lean condition, why only one manifold? Why not both? - :confused:
The passenger side header has significantly more heat dissipating capacity. Since the turbo is bolted directly to it, and dissipates heat energy through the turbine and compressor housings, and the exhaust, the header itself doesn't have to soak up nearly as much heat.

I have a nice picture of the driver's side header on my first GN [as seen through the fenderwell] glowing a nice shade of ORANGE at the racetrack. ;)

...I always turn up the fuel pressure for cam break in, your chip is lean at that RPM vs TPS etc. and has a lot of timing most likely. Add 5 lbs and see if it stops the glow if not add a little more, don't get crazy but it will cool the temps. Good luck Dave
This is good advice...and make sure you've got a decent fan blowing on the radiator during the break-in, as well.

g'luck...