Cam sensor caps keep failing

NY_GN

Planning next secret evil upgrade
What are the causes and why the $#@% did I go thru 3 in a year.

Did you notice any symptoms while the engine was running or did the engine just fail to start?
Was crushing at 35mph, sounded like it dropped to 3 cylinders and ran like crap, got home and it died. Now won't start. TR6 is saying cam sensor. Pulled cap, the reluctor ring is spinning when I crank it.

Question is why am I blowing through so many caps?

Question is why am I blowing through so many caps?
Did you have the TR6 when each of these caps failed?
Did you put any of your past caps on other motors to see if the other motors would start?
Can you put this latest cap on another motor?

What are the causes and why the **** did I go thru 3 in a year.

I am not a moderator on the board, but was one years ago and this is a family board, and it should stay this way.

Take a long deep breath to cool off before typing please!

Did you have the TR6 when each of these caps failed?
Did you put any of your past caps on other motors to see if the other motors would start?
Can you put this latest cap on another motor?
I don't have any other motors to use, but every time I get a new cap, it fires up and drives fine. One failed prior to the TR6 and this latest one with it.

That's weird. Whats up with that. Even if the cam signal goes out it shouldn't drop cylinders. Just goes into batch fire.

What kinda cap are you replacing it with? I know OEM's are not easy to find.

^^ What Rick said. I'm thinking sum ting wong.o_O
Imported part?
From the same auto parts store/mfgr, each time?
The cap doesn't carry a high electrical load.
I'd look elsewhere.
Pull the sensor out, check the gear, shaft for excessive play.
Timing chain/ gear ok?
Do you have to reset the sensor when you replace the cap?
Have you VERIFIED the condition of the plug and wiring? At 30 yrs old, the wiring could well be the issue. You have the problem, unplug/plug, and it runs.....until the connection fails. You repeat, and all's well........For a while.
Not likely, but have you also checked the crank sensor?

That's weird. Whats up with that. Even if the cam signal goes out it shouldn't drop cylinders. Just goes into batch fire.

What kinda cap are you replacing it with? I know OEM's are not easy to find.
I think I just narrowed it down to coil pack.