Can ANY machine shop port and polish the stock heads?

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
I am looking to get my stock iron heads ported and polished. Do I just take them to a comperable machine shop somewhere close or do they need someone TR specific to work on them? How much $$$ am I looking at to have these done btw? What about the intake? I am taking these units off the car first them bringing them in. Thanks.

I wouldn't get a set of heads ported by anybody with no experience and no flow bench.
There are some differences in any cylinder head. Somebody who isn't knowledgeable enough might go too far on the short radius side of the port and you'd end up with a cracked head. Or they may shape the bowl inefficiently...or whatever.
IMO, I'd stick with somebody who knows these heads, or somebody who is very reputable in porting.
FYI...I'm getting a set of heads done by a well known local porter who has been dying to get into the TR game. My set is the first set he's done...ever. He's also port matching an intake for me. I saw him in the lot last night, and he said with a 1.77 valve, he's got them flowing 224cfm at right around .450 lift (I'll have the flow sheets) and they're flowing 180cfm on the exhaust side from a baseline of 115cfm. With the TE63 I have, a Thunderfab IC, 50 #'ers and the drum of VP110 I just bought, I might be going a little faster very soon. ;)
S.

I'll be getting more details from him soon.
He's doing a buddy's heads also...so there will be two sets of them in this area.
Now we need to get both cars into the 10's to get him some good press.
;)
S.

I'd agree with the above advice. Lots of guys are very talented with head porting, but our little heads need the attention of experienced buick head porters only imo. Even the guide on gnttype has diagrams of commonly over opened areas where the head porter turns a great head into a boat anchor by going through a water passage. Take the advice given here or you could end up spending the same amount or more having your heads re-ported by someone who knows what they are doing, which has happened in the past to some.
HTH
Jim