Can anyone hazard a guess? 30 psi, bent a pushrod....

Rickracer

Mr. Goodwrench
We just got done installing a PAC system, a boost controller, and tweaking the wastegate. 1st test drive was rolling into it to near full throttle from about 50 mph. It went from about 10" of vacuum to 30 psi in less than 2 seconds, and immediately saw 19.7* of knock retard. No pop, no spit, no backfire, if I hadn't seen the knock retad, I'd have had no idea there was anything wrong.Stopped to back off boost controller a bunch and dial in some more alky, and the motor was ticking loudly, thought we'd hurt a piston, but it sounded like a rocker. Ran a compression test, all between 160 and 170. Pulled the valve cover and found #4 intake pushrod shaped like a Z. New pushrod, backed off the boost controller, dialed in some more alky, now goes to 26~27 psi with only a slight amount of knock retard, new injectors and chip on the way should fix that. Anybody hazard a guess as to what or why this happened?:confused:

Only time I ever saw an bent pushrod close to a "z" was on my '87 when I floated a valve causing piston to valve clash.

HOW

Originally posted by Rickracer
Anybody hazard a guess as to what or why this happened?

An over rev, or a sudden change in rpm, can bend a push rod.