Can crank sensor cause a rough run condition

Mike70gtx

I have not been able to track down why my car is running so rough ( like 5 cylinders) after new headgaskets. If crank sensor is bad will it be a no start situation. It could have been rubbing from the looks of it. I did re-adjust it and still have same problem. Doesn't either work or not work?

Scope it.

The best way to figure out if the crank sensor is working or not is to back probe the connector and put an oscilloscope on it. This way you get live data. You can see the wave form it produces. It can cause your car to be a no start in some situations. But others it will cause a rough running vehicle. misfires and what not. Make sure the reluctor wheel( the piece that spins with the crank) is still in good shape.

Yes..change it if it looks like its been rubbing. Fought rough condition for a month before figuring out it was crank sensor rubbing.:redface:

It looked like the reluctor might have been a little out of round. I tried to tap it back in some. I'll get another crank sensor today. I also have an ignition module coming. It's about the only thing that is not brand new.

It looked like the reluctor might have been a little out of round. I tried to tap it back in some. I'll get another crank sensor today. I also have an ignition module coming. It's about the only thing that is not brand new.

did it fix the problem

YES! Read this disaster of a post, and the last entry....cam sensor....who'da thunk? :rolleyes:

Today I'm going to change out crank sensor, then if that doesn't work I have an ignition module ready to try.

The new crank sensor made no difference. But the new ignition module did. It does run now but ti is still a little rough. My #1 cylinder plug looks a little wet. lt does not look like its burning like the other cylinders are. New crank sensor, new cam sensor, new ingnition module and coil, new plugs and new wires. Could I have done something when I put motor back together. The rockers on that side are moving up and down. Could I have a leaking intake gasket or could the egr cause that?

Stupid question but did you gap the new crank sensor to 22-25 thousandths?

I eyeballed mine the first time and it ran like crap...had to get an old credit card and set the gap.

I used the end of a zip tie. I used a spark plug gapped at 25 to make sure. There is a good chance that my reluctor is not perfect. Would it be hard to change it out? But it didn't run any different with the old sensor versus the new one. When I changed the ignition module it runs good enough to go to town. It used to foul all the plugs. Now just #1 seems different. Like I'm running on 5 to 5 1/2 cylinders.

What are your BLM's at idle?
Swap injectors on the suspect cylinder.
Swap plug wires on suspect cyl.
Do compression check.
You say you just changed headgaskets? I would do a compression check and make sure everything is all good.
Did you tighten the grounds on the back of the pasenger head good?

Blm's were about 114-116. I already pulled injectors and had them flowed. The strange thing is when this process started, which was about 2 months ago, number 3 seemed to be the problem one. That was when I pulled the valve covers. The only other thing different is a new 4" maf pipe with the new sensor from Fullthrottle. I sent the translator and computer in to make sure they were good. After my last run I switched plugs and used another plug wire.

By the time I get to town, blm's at idle are 109. Should I put my 3 1/2 sensor and cold air pipe on and try it in place of the new 4"?

For some reason when I put my ls1 maf and translator my car had blm's of 105-110 and I couldnt raise it no matter what I tried. My car idled terrible and kept killing the plugs. I finally switched my translator setting from 3.5" to 3.0" 10% lean and it brought my BLM's to 130. I have a 3.5 maf but this setting seemed to correct my problem. Dont know why but it works for me.:)

I am not familiar with that 4" setup but move some initial settings around and reset your ECM each time and see if it helps.

Try it...dont cost nothing.